• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 HELP. Need A/C control switch

franklinair

Found out why the A/C won't work: the A/C Control Switch (p. 19-3 in the Shop Manual Schematics), mounted on the center A/C Register housing is kaput. The terminals have broken off, rendering the switch non-functional. Its vacuum operated, sending 12V to the evaporator 'ice sensor', and then the power goes to the compressor clutch.
I'm sure its particular to the '67 & '68 factory A/C cars, hence not listed in any of the Mustang parts supplier catalogs.
Anyone got one laying around? :undecided

Neil

I added a couple photos, looking into the dash through the instrument cluster opening. You can see one of the green wires where it attaches to the switch.

Attachments

• Green GTCS 016.jpg
    Green GTCS 016.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Green GTCS 017.jpg
    Green GTCS 017.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

rvrtrash

Neil, I'll check the local Mustang parts yard in the next few days, if Scott doesn't come up with something sooner.

Steve

dalorzo_f

Easily repairable if a replacement can't be found and if, like me, you like doing these odd jobs.

Did the wire break at the connector or the connector come off the switch?

If #1. crimp a new connector to the line, done. Unless its too short, then splice a extension in. You can then solder the spade connector instead of crimp. Or pull the swith and wire and repair.

#2. Pull the swith, pry open the case (two little tabs), solder up a new connection or press fit a new one on. If the tab is gone can probably find a similar one at an electric shop and crimp/press it on.

Those switches gum up, easy to repair. if you have to pull it to fix, pry up the two or three tabs holding the top on, clean and lube, recrimp.

Here's what the exploded view looks like...

ac_box_diverter_0113.jpg

Ruppstang

Dalorzo you are right they are easy to fix unless some of the parts are burned or missing. Neil I think I have one if you need it. PM me if so. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

A fellow Mustanger on the East coast has the switch that I need, and is sending it to me. In the meantime I'm sanitizing & refurbishing everything in & under the dash. And then I'll re-paint the metal portion of the dash back to its original Nugget Gold.
A work in progress...

Neil