• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need help with hood lock!

LUVMYCS

Help! I'm having a problem with one of my hood locks. It seems to have come loose from the hood. It looks like it supposed to be held down with this black gasket stickly stuff. (You can tell I really need help.) Does anyone know how it's supposed to be attached and how to re-attach it? Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

PFSlim

For each hood lock, you will have the hood lock, a washer for the top side of the hood, a spring, and a clip or retainer. The hood lock goes through the washer (which has sticky stuff on it) through the spring, then through the hole in the hood. It is then held on by a retainer.

If I am missing something, someone else chime in.

Paul

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Yes, it's the washer that has the sticky stuff on it that is de-attaching from the hood. Do I need a new washer or can I just replace the sticky stuff?

PFSlim

I would guess that you would need a new washer, since the washer has the sticky stuff on it. However, to my knowledge, you can't just buy a new washer. You may be buying a whole new hood lock assembly.

Maybe there is someone else on the site that has had luck installing the washer with another type of adhesive??

Paul

P

PNewitt

This happens a lot. The washers come loose, because the sticky stuff dissolves after 30+ years....!! The original washers had this sticky element that was just smaller in diameter than the washer. It was made by 3M.

One solution is to go to an auto paint dealer (or large auto parts store), and get some double-stick material that is used for nameplates, emblems, etc. Don't get double-stick foam tape--it's too thick. You might have to cut a larger piece to the round shape.

I'd take the hood lock, with washer into a store like that, and ask.

This is what causes those offset circle marks on the hood, into the paint.

I hope this helps.

Paul N.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

So I guess 3M to longer makes the same stuff that was used back then? If I use double sided sticky tape won't that look different than the other one (and will it hold through washings)? You can see the black sticky stuff from the side. What do people do that are going concours? Was the sticky stuff actually black or did it turn black after all the years? I really want it to match the other one.

Mosesatm

LUVMYCS said:
You can see the black sticky stuff from the side. QUOTE]

That's interesting. Can anyone else with an original car verify that the adhesive is visible from the side? I always thought the washers sat nearly flush on the hood.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

I think maybe mine are squishing out the sides. I guess maybe they're supposed to be flush on the hood. Can anyone else verify?

Thanks for the suggestion 390cs68rcode!

rvrtrash

I guess I cheated on mine. I bought a small tube of water resistant silicone adhesive, spread it on the bottom of the washer thinly and then glued it to the hood. I also found a couple of fender washers that fit the hood pin and glued them to the bottom of the hood to make it harder to steal my hood pins.
Steve

case12

When I recently bought an extra pair of NOS pins in case someone walks off with mine, I found that they had a "c" washer with them that I put on my current pins (there is a slot for the washer). This keeps someone from taking them (easily) and from rolling down my hood when I open it. Casey

CJ

Mosesatm: Being an original owner there was never any visible adhesive seen from the sides. Your are correct about the washers being flush against the hood. Like RVRTRSH, I too used water resistant silicone adhesive, spread it on the bottom of the washer thinly and then glued it to the hood. Never had a problem since then.

Good Luck

CJ

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Thanks guys! So what brand of silicone adhesive? I've heard of adhesive glue and I've heard of silicone but is there a silicone glue/adhesive? Just would like to know what exactly has been used and what exactly has worked.

rvrtrash

I used a product called "Goop" that is a waterproof adhesive/sealant. I think I bought it at Ace Hardware. I've used it for a number of things on cars and even keep a tube in a dry box on my raft for emergencies. This year I glued in an air valve in a Boy Scout troops' raft because one of the kids stepped on it, pulled it out of the chamber and one corner of their raft went flat (I thought those guys were supposed to be prepared?). I saw them three days later, still holding air.
Steve (ex Boy Scout, current river rat)