• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What Dealership Sold Your Car

PB gtcs

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2210;start=0#msg15095 date=1128696376]
A very good question. In August, (for my birthday) my wife ordered a Elite Marti report for our car. I look forward to geting it in another 4 months or so.

Paul
[/quote]

Paul, our car came from Lloyd Noller Ford in Topeka. They had the rights for this part of the country for the GT/CS. (as reported by any old how). Noller also had the dealership for Shelby.

Brian

BroadwayBlue

Great thread!!

I was going to post some questions on dealers.

When I got my deluxe marti report it had the following dealer:

S & M Ford Co
209 Calif SE
Socorro, NM 87801

As far as I know the car was originally purchased by someone who lived in Arizona. I was curious whether dealers swapped cars back then as they did today.
Especially that the car was built in April but didn't sell until October.

From what I can tell the dealer no longer exists.
The only thing I could find on the web was a town document about a water system plan or something in the area. I can't find that article anymore.

Can someone help me with the address format above?
I know in California and surrounding states, addresses are often abbreviated like the above.
Would this be the same as 209 S California? If so I think a tranmission shop is there now :D

68MustangHCS

Yes...this is true about dealerships. I bought a new truck from one dealership in Fredericksburg, Va, and it still had paperwork from another dealership in Alexandria, VA including a dealer emblem on the back of the truck from the first dealer. It happens so, thats a good point, and am sure other people are aware of this issue.

Talan423

my car was also sold by "Walker-Buerge Ford" which is also still in business but known now only as "Buerge Ford". Andrew, i have been looking for one of those metal frames for a long time!
a couple of years ago i called the dealership (i live in michigan) and after being passed around to about 20 different employees i finally found a lady that would listen to me. i asked her if i could buy a couple of frames (which are plastic now) and have them shipped to me. 3 days later 4 of them showed up at my house via UPS free of charge. they aren't the nice chrome frames, but they add a little something to my car. maybe someday i'll come upon a chrome "walker-buerge ford" frame at a swap meet!

tom

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I talked to my uncle tonight who was a salesman back in the late sixties/ early seventies about dealer exchanges. He confirmed that dealers did exchange cars back then, but it was not as common as today. It is also in his opinion, that the exchange area was a much smaller area or network than today.
He said they would check through the "Zone Office" and no further ( I am assuming the Zone area would be dealers in the same DSO...MAYBE???!!!!)

Andrew

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=2210;start=15#msg15312 date=1129075870]
my car was also sold by "Walker-Buerge Ford" which is also still in business but known now only as "Buerge Ford". Andrew, i have been looking for one of those metal frames for a long time!
a couple of years ago i called the dealership (i live in michigan) and after being passed around to about 20 different employees i finally found a lady that would listen to me. i asked her if i could buy a couple of frames (which are plastic now) and have them shipped to me. 3 days later 4 of them showed up at my house via UPS free of charge. they aren't the nice chrome frames, but they add a little something to my car. maybe someday i'll come upon a chrome "walker-buerge ford" frame at a swap meet!

tom
[/quote]

If I had two I would give you one. I found both CA plates in the garage but only 1 frame. I used to keep the CA plate on the fropnt of the car with my MA plate on the back until a nice policeman made me go remove it in the middle of the highway and promise never to do it again. If something ever happens and I am looking to part with it I will let you know.

68MustangHCS

If anyone has any dealer plates from Johnnie Harper Motors Wheatland, CO or Frontier Motors, Rapid City, SD then drop me a note. Thanks...

P

PNewitt

Do they still make metal plate frames--new??
What about someone making them for us?

The top (smaller) would say: 1968 Mustang GT/CS

And the bottom would say: "California Made It Happen"

(or a second one, for the front would say at the bottom: "One of 3866 Made" (right #??)

White letters--(Ford) blue background on the type. Chrome frames, just like 1968.

("The West Made it Happen" & "One of 251" for the HCS crowd, too.)

Paul N.

hookedtrout

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=2210;start=15#msg15365 date=1129226440]
Do they still make metal plate frames--new??
What about someone making them for us?

The top (smaller) would say: 1968 Mustang GT/CS

And the bottom would say: "California Made It Happen"

(or a second one, for the front would say at the bottom: "One of 3866 Made" (right #??)

White letters--(Ford) blue background on the type. Chrome frames, just like 1968.

("The West Made it Happen" & "One of 251" for the HCS crowd, too.)

Paul N.

[/quote]

I like! :D

Cory

Jayscal

I am fortunate to have the original owners manual. In it there is the name and purchase date and dealer, pretty cool after 37 years it is still intact.

Just wondering... did anyone else find that their GT/CS came from Burch Ford in La Habra, CA?

When I was living in California in ' 88 I was driving my GT/CS on Imperial Hwy in La Habra. I got flagged down by this old man who kept yelling "THATS MY CAR!!!" It turned out to be Mr. Nigrini. He had recognized the license plate, which had been with the car since new. He was amazed to see it in as great shape as it was after all the years. We had a great chat and I asked him lots of questions. I had asked him why the Marshall fog lamps had no bulbs or harness to the switch. He told me that he took the car in for service, and was told about the fog lamp recall. They showd him the Lucas lamps, and he said your not drilling holes in my car to mount those. He liked the look of the Marshall lamps better, and since he didn't really use the lamps anyhow, he worked out a deal to keep the lamps, as long as they removed the bulbs and harness.

Unusual little story that I couldn't make up if I tried. Downside for me was no wires or bulbs/sockets. Being in my late teens when I boughjt the car, I rigged VW headlite bulbs in whichout damageing the Marshall lite in anyway. They still function 21 years later, some day I need to make them correct.

Attachments

• owners_manual.jpg
    owners_manual.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 28

Jayscal

I found out that Burch Ford is still in business, so I called them up yesterday. Unfortunately, the documentation they have, only goes back 10 years. I asked them if I could get two license plate frames from them, and they said no problem. They are even going to mail them to me here in Florida. Pretty cool. :)

Russ

The initial post requested information on the availability of dealership items from McCoy & Mills Ford in Fullerton. Since my lime gold GT/CS was purchased from this dealership, I wanted to see if I could obtain a set of license plate brackets from the dealership.

A friend of mine went to the dealership and requested a pair of brackets, and McCoy & Mills gladly gave me two new brackets. I also found an older original bracket which I found to be identical to the new ones. Thanks to McCoy & Mills for these brackets.

Russ

Attachments

• PICT0002a.jpg
    PICT0002a.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

somethingspecial

source for license plate frames

I just attended the Good Guys car show in Pleasanton, Ca. and found this source for frames. He does not have internet, so you will have to call him.

Jim Gentile
Jim's California License Plates
3449 Virgil Circle,
Pleasanton, Ca. 94566
(925) 462-1506

He told me he used to have an oil business, and catered to dealerships. He has many obsolete frames, some from long gone dealerships. He was selling frames for $45.00 a pair. It's worth a call. Mike

U

Unregistered

I used to live on Imperial Hwy. and worked at the Alpha Beta Distribution Center in La Habra. When I started to restore my CS I bought a fleet car from the company to get around in and then every paycheck I would go up to Burch Ford and use my company discount to buy a new part. I then moved to La Mirada and there was an older lady I happened to see in the same complex that had my twin car! I still wonder where that car is now.

This was well before any classic Mustang parts places were around. Burch Ford is still there and expanded a few years ago, to include the corner lot.

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Mike (somethingspecial) Thanks for the info on Jim Gentile, he seems to be a heck of a nice guy. He has about 15 different Ford dealer frames, but unfortuniately for me, not the two dealers I am searching for.

Most of the dealers were from the San Francisco area S&C Ford, Tiffany Ford in Hollister, Sanoma Ford and Mercury, Los Gatos, Brentwood, Livermore, Country Ford, etc.

U

Unregistered

Leon Ames Ford

my car was purchase from Leon Ames ford in Torrance California

Russ

Does anyone have a Mustang that was sold by Courtesy Ford in Garland or from Sewell Ford in Odessa? If so, I have dealer items for you,
Russ