• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

J-code snorkle

6t8-390gt

Here is a picture of the early and late version of the J-code snorkle. The vacuum motor was discontinued during the model year production. The later version is an NOS piece I have.

28krqqu.jpg

CougarCJ

My research shows that the engine build cutoff date is on or about 4/2/1968 for the snorkel change. Not the car build date, the engine build date.

Ruppstang

My 7-20-68 HCS C code has the vacuum moter I am not certain that it was orginal. Marty

TraveledGTCS

My GT/CS build date was 4/05/68 and it has the vacumn snorkle; maybe it was one of the last off the line with that style. I have had it since new with no changes to the air cleaner other than repainting it.

Bill

CougarCJ

I found that information in the Ford Master Parts Catalog. It may have taken the San Jose factory longer to use them up?

Hawkrod

The date in the MPC is the date that the assembly lines were supposed to have swapped out old for new. That does not mean that it always happened but it was uncommon when it did not. There are reasons that cars built later could have early parts including later swapping by error (it even occured on dealer lots when the cars were new) but a sidelined car could have a later date and early parts and although not normal, it was common enough for a few cars to be wrong. Hawkrod

gt/csj4

looking at my snorkel tube, mine is the "discontinued" vacuum one shown but how are you to know which went on which cars? And more to the point, would it matter running either or if you are restoring to concours?

J_Speegle

looking at my snorkel tube, mine is the "discontinued" vacuum one shown but how are you to know which went on which cars? And more to the point, would it matter running either or if you are restoring to concours?

It would depend on what the organization's rules stated or what the judges were expecting. Can always document what you choose and your reasons and present that before the judging begins and hope they accept your choose.

dalorzo_f

April 29 build date, has vacuum motor. Believe it is original. Never know when folks use 4/5 date format if its April 5 or May 4...

But mine is a C code, would expect a similar changeover date for a similar part, but maybe not.