CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/03/2007, 12:00 PM   #16
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
the 460 if i get a aftermarket block i can go to something like a 806 but i have seen world makes a 460 small block now thats a idea too. i dont like the mustang 2 kits or fat man fabs sturt kit. rrs-online has a better one i just dont like the brakes it uses too small for my taste i just want more power with out cuting up the car to get it. o yeah speaking of the exp500 i found pictures of little red i think its a clone tho http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...8/67/index.htm scroll down youll see it
A couple of things. The 460 is a VERY, very heavy engine. The (stock) '67-'68 GT-500 Shelbys had a hard time in autocross, or at least in driving from the heavy nose weight of the 428, and the 460 is a lot heavier than that. It's also taller, with a deeper oil pan. I've seen 460s in Cobra kit cars, and wonder "why"?

Also--that much horsepower will be wasted, since the rear end can't do a lot with it. Little Red--with a Paxton-blown 427 would just sit there and spin the tires, if it wasn't breaking the tailhousing or a C-6. Think of the best power-to-weight ratio for this car. Bigger isn't always better. A blown 347 will do just fine, and you'll need more bracing on the driver's seat back from the G-force!!!

IF you go with a complete GT/CS Clone--I would suggest that you do it in a very cool, non-stock color. There are some great Honda or Scion reds, or Chrysler coppers and bronzes. The Ford "tungsten" is great, too, with white stripes. By painting it an obvious non-stock color, you kind of overrun the "clone" scrunity by others, since it visually becomes more of a street rod type of Mustang.

Paul N.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions