• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

robert campbell

Hello,
I am a new member to the site and own VIN 8R01J123143 that was originally register in Paul's book by Bruce Malmberg. Car is confirmed by Marti report as a "Gold Nugget Special" paint code Y5. DSO 741111 and sold by Smith Gandy Ford in Seattle Washington. I has all the original Ford fiberglass and Marchal fogs. Currently painted Wimbledon White. It had lost the orginal left quarter panel, but the right was still there. Holes for the scipt were higher than a normal Cal Spec as mention in Paul's registry. I templated a newer Cal Spec and moved the scripts to a "normal" position. Does anyone else have a car with higher mounted script? This is a very early car built in January 03 of 1968 as conformed by the Marti report. Any further info on the above would be appreciated. I am 52 and own a highly modified old school 67 GTA Fastback and a 1957, 2 door, Del Rio Wagon powered by a 428 Cobra Jet. I BLEED FORD BLUE!!!

Rob Campbell

68 special

Welcome aboard. It's nice to see another Pacific Northwesterner on the site. We'd like to see some pics as soon as you can.

Bret (Monroe,Wa.)

rvrtrash

Ditto! Welcome to the fold.

Steve (a little farther east)

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site Rob! It`s great to have you here. So what does the script on a Gold Nugget Special look like anyway? It it like a GT/CS?

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rhonda,
Same as a normal GT CS script. Paul Newitts book described it as a special GT CS for the Northwest. Originally painted anniversary gold which is a rare color. I am trying to get more info on this rare GT CS.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
1967 GTA was an original lime gold 390 auto car. My wife, Val, of 29 years bought it in 1977 and I coverted it to a 289 four speed. Then a 428 cobra jet 4 speed. Then a mild 289 4 speed again. Now it has a 1964 5 bolt hipo short block with 2.02/1.60 valves in 69 windsor castings. Solid roller with 48 IDA Inglese induction. 13 to 1 pop ups and dynoed at 430 HP at the rear wheels at 7,000 RPM. Top loader crash box and 4.11 Auburn posi. 31 splines and Shelby under rides. All assembly work on all components by myself. Huge tires and hand built steel flares. Car is lowest Mustang on stock suspension I have ever seen. Ride is very rough and gas milage is non-existent. But as I always say "there is more to life than gas mileage"!! Pictures of all three very soon!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
You own a 428 Cobra Jet GT CS!!!!! WOW!! RARE of all RARE! I am a total Ford performance guy!!! You have the in my mind the next best think to a 68 Shelby 500 KR!!! Less of yours made!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!! Do you have the right carb for it?? I rebush and rebuild Holleys. Yours should be a List 4345 or something close. I do carbs for many people in the Seattle area.

Rob

hicountrybob

Rhonda,
Same as a normal GT CS script. Paul Newitts book described it as a special GT CS for the Northwest. Originally painted anniversary gold which is a rare color. I am trying to get more info on this rare GT CS.

Rob
Rob, punch on google "1968 Regional Specials" and you will find a ton of info on your Northwest Special Mustang PLUS other Mustang regional specials that were built by FOMOCO and distributed by dealers. Hicountry Bob here.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Bob,
I am somewhat familiar with a gold nugget sunlit gold car ordered into the Seattle DSO. The 1968 regional special website trys to say that any Mustang ordered in 1968 with the 1111 after the DSO of 74 denotes a gold nugget or gold nugget special. The Marti report identifes my car as a gold nugget special with the GT CS option pieces. To my knowledge the 1111 after any DSO denotes a "specially" ordered car from Ford. To my knowledge the 1111 can follow any DSO and any car line. A Fairlane, Torino, Falcon ect. The 1968 Regional special website leads the reader to believe that the 1111 denotes a gold nugget which to what I have read may not be true. There are Gold Nuggets that are not GT CS cars. I have decoded a couple in my area that are plain jane 68 coupes with just a blackout hood and anniversary gold paint.

Please understand that the above is the best of my knowledge that I have read over 35 years of owning Mustangs!! Anyone that can shed further light to the above is appreciated. I am thirsty for information and have experience many odd cars that purest think never existed. I learned long ago to not doubt the out of the ordininary!!! It may be true!

Rob

hicountrybob

Bob,
I am somewhat familiar with a gold nugget sunlit gold car ordered into the Seattle DSO. The 1968 regional special website trys to say that any Mustang ordered in 1968 with the 1111 after the DSO of 74 denotes a gold nugget or gold nugget special. The Marti report identifes my car as a gold nugget special with the GT CS option pieces. To my knowledge the 1111 after any DSO denotes a "specially" ordered car from Ford. To my knowledge the 1111 can follow any DSO and any car line. A Fairlane, Torino, Falcon ect. The 1968 Regional special website leads the reader to believe that the 1111 denotes a gold nugget which to what I have read may not be true. There are Gold Nuggets that are not GT CS cars. I have decoded a couple in my area that are plain jane 68 coupes with just a blackout hood and anniversary gold paint.

Please understand that the above is the best of my knowledge that I have read over 35 years of owning Mustangs!! Anyone that can shed further light to the above is appreciated. I am thirsty for information and have experience many odd cars that purest think never existed. I learned long ago to not doubt the out of the ordininary!!! It may be true!

Rob
How interesting! How's about sharing your Marti report with us? Perhaps other info. could surface from your post and your Marti report. Thanks, Bob here.

rvrtrash

The 4 digit number after the DSO does designate a special order, which could be anything from a non stock paint color to a "regional special" but I've seen different 4 digit numbers (my 69 XL that I just sold had such a number for the special order paint color) and no-one seems to know how to decode them. My guess is that every Gold Nugget that's been examined had the 1111 code so the assumption was made that Ford used that number for the Gold Nugget but it may have meant something else, like the paint code, and every car ordered with a special paint, of any color, got the same number whether it was a Gold Nugget or not. Just an observation from my years of research.

Steve

John McGilvary

Welcome Rob!! You have some real cool cars. I am also a die hard Ford guy.

My first car was a Brittany blue California Special 428CJ, and I still own it.
They say it was the first 428CJ produced at the San Jose plant.

We'll injoy talking to you on this site. The members are all real cool!

John

Midnight Special

Tim,
You own a 428 Cobra Jet GT CS!!!!! WOW!! RARE of all RARE! I am a total Ford performance guy!!! You have the in my mind the next best think to a 68 Shelby 500 KR!!! Less of yours made!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!! Do you have the right carb for it?? I rebush and rebuild Holleys. Yours should be a List 4345 or something close. I do carbs for many people in the Seattle area.

Rob

Rob, your GTA sounds awesome!! Thanks for the details and I can't wait to see some photos :) Again - Heartfelt welcome to the site as a skilled and innovative devote' of "blue blocked" American Muscle!

As much as I wish I had a 428CJ GT/CS - I don't. But I do have a 1969 Mach I w/ the 428. (parusing my gallery to make sure I didn't mis-represent...;-) My CSs are 289/2v, 302/4v, 302/4v (4-speed) and 390/4V respectively. I also have a GT/CS restomod cloned from a '67 where the jury is still out re; further modification. Your description of all you did with your GTA is extremely inspiring.
:)

Attachments

• csgrp.jpg
    csgrp.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IM000600e.jpg
    IM000600e.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 32

case12

If your Marti report says this is Jan 03, '68 car and has the California Special option, then I would love to see the Marti report. This would make it a very early production car. Please post the Marti report. Thanks! Casey

68gt390

Rob;
Welcome to the site. You've definitely got an early production car. Mine was sent to DSO 74 (Seattle) and was sold by Gearhart Ford Sales, Mount Vernon, WA on 5/23/68. Has a build date of 4/16/68. Was originally a 390 car but, now houses a 428 CJ.

Don :grin:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

How interesting! How's about sharing your Marti report with us? Perhaps other info. could surface from your post and your Marti report. Thanks, Bob here.

I only have the deluxe Marti report. It states Gold Nugget Special in the option list and not California Special. I have the elite report on order. It should show the $194.31 option for the GT/CS Equipment package and the breakdown for all the parts that make a CS a CS. There is one other car in the orginal Pual Newitt registry that is a Y5Gold Nugget Special. VIN 8R01C124554. Then owned by Tom Shields and now in the on-line registry under Janice Brulc in California. Anyway to contact her?? The website will not allow the entering of a "Y5" paint code so both hers and ours show as a "Y" paint code. I will post my deluxe report put it does not definitivly say this is a California Special. I has all the orginal fiberglass and the car is correct in every way to the Marti report with the exception of the wheels which are painted style steel. The elite report will confrim its identity beyond a doubt. Pauls book speaks to the Gold Nugget Special existance as a true California Special. This car even has the rare pop open GT gascap which is normally a no no, but his books says some of the earlier cars may have had one. This car is a 3 January 68 build, as confirmed by the Marti report, so it is one of the earliest known Cal Specs.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The 4 digit number after the DSO does designate a special order, which could be anything from a non stock paint color to a "regional special" but I've seen different 4 digit numbers (my 69 XL that I just sold had such a number for the special order paint color) and no-one seems to know how to decode them. My guess is that every Gold Nugget that's been examined had the 1111 code so the assumption was made that Ford used that number for the Gold Nugget but it may have meant something else, like the paint code, and every car ordered with a special paint, of any color, got the same number whether it was a Gold Nugget or not. Just an observation from my years of research.

Steve

Steve,
You have seen the same thing I have. All sorts of weird numbers after the DSO for special order. The 1111 in my opinion, and to the best of my knowledge, only means spedial order/special paint. I have seen a 65 Fastback with a special paint light blue that had a 1111 after the 74 DSO. Again, to best of my research!!! I gave up long ago thinking I have seen it all!!

Rob

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

If your Marti report says this is Jan 03, '68 car and has the California Special option, then I would love to see the Marti report. This would make it a very early production car. Please post the Marti report. Thanks! Casey

Casey,
Posted a reply to Bob on the Marti report. The deluxe report only shows the option line "Gold Nugget Special". I have the elite report on order that will display the window sticker that should break down the option to show the GT/CS Equipment Package. All I have to go on right now is that the car has all the original Ford numbered fiberglass. With the exception of the right side scoop. Everything in the Marti deluxe report matches the car to a T except for the wheels. Common upgrade. This car is has the right grill brackets, twist locks, receivers, fog light wiring, Marchal fogs, and so on. The only thing I have at this time to go on is the mention of the existence of these cars in Paul Newitts book and it fits the time frame he mentions. Early cars. The final proof will be the elite report.

Rob