• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

289 engine

Mustanglvr

I`ve been told that my GT/CS may have an older 289 engine. It originally came with a 200 inline 6. Is there a difference between the earlier 289`s and the ones that came out in 68? I`m aware that some had 302 heads. But thats not the case here. Rhonda

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Its me again. I got the numbers from the passenger side on the front of the block on my 289 and for the first and last numbers there are 2 numbers, one on top of the other. The numbers are 2/1 0 6 9 2/7. Are they supposed to be that way or am I looking at the wrong numbers? Rhonda

rvrtrash

I have to stop logging on when I'm at work and can't look anything up. Anyway, if I recall, early blocks had 5 bolt bellhousings and later ones were 6 but I don't recall when the change was made. The number you want to look for is above your starter and will be something like C8OE-???? or C4OE-???? or something similar. Find that number and when I get home, I'll look it up and tell you the application.
Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Ok, here goes. 0 C5AE-6015E Thanks for help Steve.
:)Rhonda

Oh yeah, it has 5L2 on the top of those numbers.

mmarsalone

Rhonda,

One difference between the 68 and the earlier 289s is that the 68 had 5 less horsepower. In 68, the 289 / 2v was rated at 195 hp, while the 65 - 67, 289 / 2v, were rated at 200. The straight six was also rated with 5 less, 115 hp vs. 120 hp for the same years.

Mike

rvrtrash

Well I'm afraid I going to be very little help. My Ford Master Parts List says the 6015 number can't be used to identify the specific use. However, the change from "early" to "late", was sometime in 1965. Prior to that, the blocks used 5 bolts for the bellhousing, didn't have the dipstick in the timing chain cover and had C4OE or AE numbers. After that, they were 6 bolt, dipstick in the cover and were C5XX or later, so it sounds like yours is the later one.
Steve

Perkchiro

Look for the block casting # stamped on top of the block, jsut to the rear of the intake manifold. This area collects alot of dirt and grease so you might have to search a little. My block # at this location reads as follows: 8H53415 The 8 indicating a 68 year block. Hope that helps you.
Steve

rvrtrash

Just to clarify the other Steve's answer, the number on the top rear is the VIN that you would look for to see if the engine is "numbers matching". The first number does indeed signify the year, the second the assembly plant (in his case, H means Lorain, Ohio) and there will be 6 numbers after that, that would match the last 6 of your VIN on the dash or door, if the engine was original. I'd overlooked using the VIN to tell the engine year, but that would work.
Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

From what I`ve found on the internet the 5L2 means 1965-November-2nd. O-C5AE-6015E is the typical number for a 289 whether it is a 2V,4V or a HiPo engine. I guess I`ll have to take it apart to find out if its a HiPo. Nobody seems to know what the first O is for. Does anybody here know? Thanks for the info guys.
Rhonda

Perkchiro

Rhonda:
Don't tear it apart! HI-PO 289 engines had Hi-Po exhaust manifolds. That would be the ez identifier. :)

Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Ok Perkchiro, but the 1970 351 W exhaust manifolds look almost exactly alike. Anybody got a pic of the HiPo manifolds?

Rhonda

nfrntau

Does your engine have a steel intake or aluminum? 2 bbl or 4.
aLL hI-PO'S HAD THE 4BBL, dual point distributor, and a larger diameter alternator pulley.

What model carb does it have? I'm showing a 289 Hi-Po carb id of DOPF-V part number C40Z-9510-G? Just throwing out ideas.
hI-PO FUEL PUMP # C5OZ-9350-A
k-code exhaust manifolds right hand c5zz-9430-b, lrft hand c30z-9431-b
water pump c50z-8501-a

Unless you are planning on rebuilding your engine anyway, I would not tear it apart just to find out. It really boils down to just how bad do you want to know. I don't know if any of these numbers will work for you but it's a far cry from tearing your motor apart.
Good Luck

svt03

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=2057;start=0#msg13815 date=1124841669]
Does your engine have a steel intake or aluminum? 2 bbl or 4.
aLL hI-PO'S HAD THE 4BBL, dual point distributor, and a larger diameter alternator pulley.

What model carb does it have? I'm showing a 289 Hi-Po carb id of DOPF-V part number C40Z-9510-G? Just throwing out ideas.
hI-PO FUEL PUMP # C5OZ-9350-A
k-code exhaust manifolds right hand c5zz-9430-b, lrft hand c30z-9431-b
water pump c50z-8501-a

Unless you are planning on rebuilding your engine anyway, I would not tear it apart just to find out. It really boils down to just how bad do you want to know. I don't know if any of these numbers will work for you but it's a far cry from tearing your motor apart.
Good Luck
[/quote]

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

I have deducted it is not a hipo engine, but it is an older one(1965). It has all Edelbrock carb, intake etc. It has single points. The exhaust manifold does`nt look like the ones for the hipo. I am happy with it anyway. Thanks for all the help gentlemen, Rhonda

68sunlitgold

Rhonda,
here is the block number off my 289, as those above have discussed there was no Hi-po in 68, they stopped in 67.

Doug

Attachments

• 289_block_number.jpg
    289_block_number.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 25

66 Stang

Block number decode

Can anyone help with a web site for decoding a block number
Mine is O C5AE 6015E. Plus I have just purchase a 67 coupe that the vin code and fender code says its a "S" Code car. But it has the 289 in it now. is it worth it to put it back to the 390? and should I be looking for a same year or does it affect the $$..I need help...

franklinair

Can't help you with the casting #'s (there are others on this site that can)- BUT - I would think that the 390 would much improve the value of your car. As I recall, 390's used a C-6 A/T (if automatic), and the engine mounts are different (but they'r just bolt-on anyway). I'd spend a few $ and get a Marti Report on the VIN #, and see how the car was originally outfitted.

Neil

J_Speegle

Can anyone help with a web site for decoding a block number
Mine is O C5AE 6015E. Plus I have just purchase a 67 coupe that the vin code and fender code says its a "S" Code car. But it has the 289 in it now. is it worth it to put it back to the 390? and should I be looking for a same year or does it affect the $$..I need help...

Block casting will do you little good. The casting date in conjuction will tell you more

If you have an S code car then yes putting the original style engine (same year does matter) unless the car is a modified car anyway. A S code with a small block is worth less in most cases