• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

WTB 68 390 Air Breather

twoclassics

Looking for a 68 390 air breather. I believe this would be the crome top snorkel air breather. Needs to be good quality thanks Chuck

390cs68rcode

you should contact this Ebay seller directly as he lists the base and lid all the time and is who I bought mine from (you will also need one of the items in this auction)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4555675097&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

you will need one of these. this person has a few of these as they keep listing them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-68-mustang-torino-390-GT-air-cleaner-valve_W0QQitemZ4567244510QQcategoryZ34204QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a list of what you need to be complete:

chrome lid (smooth all the way around like the 68 289 lids)
base with snorkel and air cleaner valve
tube that connects the oil cap to the base
oil cap breather valve
lid edge seal
air filter
S tube
heat shield
bolts to connect heat shield to manifold (AMK sells them)
390 sticker (red and black colors only) (NPD part # D-23)
autolite air filter sticker (NPD part # 9d600-24)
"front" sticker (NPD part # D-104)
autolite replacement spark plug sticker (NPD part # D-17)

for the record this is NOT the correct base and lid (this is a 67)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Mustang-GT-390-Air-Cleaner-ORIGINAL-Dual-Screen_W0QQitemZ4568478772QQcategoryZ34202QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hope this helps ;D

ViCatz

A quick note here.
68 Air filter assemblies on Canadian destined cars got the previous years emmission standards.
What this means is that a 68 GT made for Canadians would have had the 67 non snorkled dual screened open air cleaner assembly and not the closed snorkelled with vac door that US destined 68s got.
There is also a non vac door assembly used on non 4V apps and not sure about Mustang but in Cougar the lid may not be chrome depending on the option level.
The good news is that all the info is called out in the Master Parts Catalogue for each application.

390cs68rcode

A quick note here.
68 Air filter assemblies on Canadian destined cars got the previous years emmission standards.
What this means is that a 68 GT made for Canadians would have had the 67 non snorkled dual screened open air cleaner assembly and not the closed snorkelled with vac door that US destined 68s got.
There is also a non vac door assembly used on non 4V apps and not sure about Mustang but in Cougar the lid may not be chrome depending on the option level.
The good news is that all the info is called out in the Master Parts Catalogue for each application.

with all due respect please keep on topics. This is a 1968 MUSTANG site.

You seem to know things about Cougars which is great but there is no need for info on Cougars on this site.

Can someone CONFIRM the 67 air cleaner thing on 68 Canada destined MUSTANG?

ViCatz

look in any MPC to confirm the information.
with all due respect.....
I have owned plenty of Mustangs worked on plenty of clients Mustrangs and sold all my Mustangs to keep the Cougars....
If you do not know Cougar is same as Mustang then you do now.

390cs68rcode

look in any MPC to confirm the information.
with all due respect.....
I have owned plenty of Mustangs worked on plenty of clients Mustrangs and sold all my Mustangs to keep the Cougars....
If you do not know Cougar is same as Mustang then you do now.

If I had a MPC I would have already looked it up, don't you think?

There is absolutely no need for the smart a$$ remarks. You NEVER said anything about your background with Mustangs, only Cougars. Please keep the Cougar talk to Cougar websites. This is a Mustang website.

I am aware of the similarities and differences from Cougars and Mustangs.

ViCatz

If I had a MPC I would have already looked it up, don't you think?

There is absolutely no need for the smart a$$ remarks.
I have brought forth correct information no one here has brought fwd before....for $20 you can buy an MPC and look it up for yourself.

And now I remember why I sold my Mustangs.

ViCatz

$20 MPC on CD on eBay
I sold my Mustangs as I was tired of the limitations Mustang owners put on information/discussion limiting their knowledge base and ignoring the facts.
If this is strictly a Mustang site maybe you shoud remove the non Mustangs from your signature?

ViCatz

ahhhhh
Now I know what your upset about.
Your CS is a Canadian destined CS witha B7 DSO.
Your car is restored incorrectly.
It has the American emmission standards and not the Canadian emmission standards the Marti report calls out.
Not only that but you have the FRONT sticker on and the vac adv is not FoMoCo issue or even a FoMoCo look a like.
Also there never was any CAUTION FAN decal in 68 on ANY Mustang Fairlane Comet Falcon or Cougar.

ViCatz

You are completely right. You win.

Look,
I didn't come here to "win" anything.
I came to share information.
I hope you and those who read this will get the correct info so they can have their cars correct so when being judged they are being judged fairly and accurately where correctness and authenticity are concerned.

As a side note if you happen to have the 1968 Shop manual SOME of them have on the page before section/group 8 Engine a full page addressing the 427 engines as well as Canadian destined emissions and US destined emissions standards.
This page is likely not in the US printing of the shop manuals but is in the Canadian version.
Basically says 427 all have Thermactor and that X code 390s have IMCO and that 68 Canadian models have open atmosphere venting rather than closed system that US imposed regulations require/d.
PS when buying the MPC make sure its the international version as the US version is incomplete, does not cover Canadian DSO information.
:smile: