• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Trunk lid: Original vs reproduction: How do they differenciate?

vman

Hi. I was just waiting for one of the experts to jump on board with this one. As far as I know there is a difference with the colour of the fiberglass used and the pattern of which it is cast underneath the boot lid. Sorry Trunk lid. I am happy to be corrected .
I will try and attatch a photo of my boot lid , but it may be difficult to see how the casting looks. Mine being what I believe original. Otherwise I am sure that in the archives of this forum I have seen better photos of boot lids that show the pattern of casting. Other than that with size and fit , I have no idea. Please note that I am only a novice when it comes to my info.
Good luck

Attachments

• DSC01464.jpg
    DSC01464.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51

Maverick

I also have my original lid, i'll post the photo if it can help as a reference :) But i'm guessing a good fiberglass expert that has the original to base his work on can copy it almost perfectly so that even an expert cannot notice?

Attachments

• 02052009209.jpg
    02052009209.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Maverick and Dalorzo...thanks for the pictures,they are very helpful!!

rvrtrash

Trying to play catch up again, so I'm late to the question, but the originals have a textured surface on the bottom, like the picture, and the fiberglass has a pinkish color to it, rather than grey. Look up inside the spoiler section of the trunk lid where there isn't any paint and you should see the color of the material.

Steve