• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 Horn Panel Bezel & Buttons

stangfan

The bezel buttons on my pad could use a little refreshing, and the running horse button in the middle is cracked. I have a spare wheel, so I took the bezel off to see how the buttons are installed. It looks to me like the only way to get them out is through the front. Has anyone taken theirs apart to clean them up? If so, how did you go about removing the buttons from the bezel?

I see that Scott Drake sells the bezel and buttons, but I'd rather restore my original if possible.

Thanks. :grin:

franklinair

The buttons are just inserted from the front, and I secure them with a dab of glue on the stem (The originals are secured by melting the end of the plastic stem.)
I used the Scott Drake buttons, very pleased with appearance.
I don't know how you would 're-chrome' the plastic buttons to make them look original. Some folks paint them argent, but IMHO it looks tacky.
On the bezel, get the Scott Drake. Other repo's have the red/white/blue colors reversed in order.

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 084.jpg
    Green GTCS 084.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 88
  • Green GTCS 071.jpg
    Green GTCS 071.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 85

dalorzo_f

It's not really chrome, but vacuum deposition aluminum. There are a few shops that redo it. Done on dash parts, dome light bezels, and all the other plastic parts with "chrome".

As noted most paints just don't cut it. There are new high tech chrome paints that supposedly do very well at replicating this look (ALSA, etc). But here in Oz I was quoted $500 to paint ONE instrument cluster. To do a complete dash was over $1000... crazy....

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Neil, did you replace all seven buttons? I'm assuming that you used your original bezel. If so, how did you get the old buttons out?

Thanks.

franklinair

Steve;
With the bezel (center pad) removed (2 screws on the back of the steering wheel) I just snipped the melted tips with a small pair of dikes and pushed the buttons out from the back of the center pad.
And yes, I replaced all 6 of the buttons (new sets are packaged that way) and the emblem.

Neil

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Original buttons were not chrome as the Drake reproductions. The outer bezel was a plastic chrome but the buttons were argent paint. I took this picture of a unrestored 68 at the Reno MCA national show. Neil I do think the chrome button look good but just not correct. Marty

Attachments

• Yosemite trip 018.jpg
    Yosemite trip 018.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Original buttons were not chrome as the Drake reproductions. The outer bezel was a plastic chrome but the buttons were argent paint. I took this picture of a unrestored 68 at the Reno MCA national show. Neil I do think the chrome button look good but just not correct. Marty

Ok, this got me thinking. My steering wheel is in beautiful shape. My only complaint is that the running horse button has a crack in the lens. I got my spare wheel and was able to nibble off the tips on the back of the pad with a sharp hobby knife. When I got centre button out, the lens was separate from the button. I'm thinking that I might be able to remove the button from the GT/CS wheel and replace the running horse button lens only. If I'm careful with the glue, I should be able to attach the lens to the original button from my car and then glue it in. :wink:

x-codegtcs

THAT is really interesting!

Ruppstang

To add to what I all ready said in 68 Ford went on a anti glare kick, besides the buttons and bezel the horn rim was satin too. On the convertibles the sun visors and inside header cover all were all satin chrome. To day it is very expensive to have satin chrome done.
The 65's had bright chrome wiper arms and they changed that in 66. The way you can tell a Scott Drake reproduction wiper arm from a original is that the first piece that attaches to the shaft is bright chrome not satin as the original is. Fun stuff for all of us anal concours guys.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Ok, this got me thinking. My steering wheel is in beautiful shape. My only complaint is that the running horse button has a crack in the lens. I got my spare wheel and was able to nibble off the tips on the back of the pad with a sharp hobby knife. When I got centre button out, the lens was separate from the button. I'm thinking that I might be able to remove the button from the GT/CS wheel and replace the running horse button lens only. If I'm careful with the glue, I should be able to attach the lens to the original button from my car and then glue it in. :wink:

While cleaning up the lens, I noticed it had stress cracks, so I abandoned my idea of reusing the original button on the CS. I'm going to hold off for a bit and decide if I want to replace all seven buttons or leave it alone. Interesting discussion though. :grin:

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

The pad bezel border is argent just like the picture in post #7. My wheel actually looks nicer than the unrestored one pictured, so I think I'm going to leave it alone. :grin:

Ruppstang

Steve the Drake center emblem is not too bad you could spray the chrome argent it you want to make it more accurate. Here is a picture of our HCS deluxe wheel restored. I found a NOS center for it.

Attachments

• 68 HCS deluxe steering wheel 001.jpg
    68 HCS deluxe steering wheel 001.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 69