• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Water Pump for a 390

Doug

Can anyone tell me if the 390 had a special water pump that needs to be specially ordered or can I just go to the local parts house a buy one. Doug

rvrtrash

The guys at my local NAPA know me (imagine that) so they let me go through a few of them till I found one with the casting number I wanted. It never hurts to ask, and yes, Napa can get you a water pump for a 390.

Steve

robert campbell

Doug,
Don't forget your local Ford dealer. Over the years I have found that the over the counter replacement parts for water pumps, starters, and other parts are of a better quality than my local parts store. They fit better and last longer.

And they are not that more expensive and sometimes very close to the same price. I had a 65 Falcon Ranchero with a 289 with the alluminum water pump. My Ford dealer was the best pump I ever got. I went through a bunch of rebuilt pumps that wore out in no time. The Ford one was new and a bit more expensive but way better quality and lasted for years until I sold it. Still is on the car today.

Might be a thought.

Rob

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

Found an original one "in the box" 10 miles from home. I will paint it blue and get it back on the car. And the cost was reasonable. Thanks for all the comments.