• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cars in Cuba

66hcs-conv

Soooo, who is gonna be the first guy to go to Cuba & start buying all the old 50's & 60's cars?

Have fun, Dave

Maine gt/cs

I watched an interview with a few car restores in Cuba and they said they want to be able to buy parts from the USA to fix and keep their cars. But i would be willing to bet that alot will come up for sale. I would love to go there just to see all the cars they have stashed in old barns.

Tim

sam

I would love a 55 or 56 Ford sunliner or even Custom sedan with a 292 V8

p51

... But i would be willing to bet that alot will come up for sale. I would love to go there just to see all the cars they have stashed in old barns.

Tim

I think your right about this. A lot of people in Cuba want computers, cellphones, etc. They make virtually nothing (doctors make a state-controlled $67/month!) so $10K is a huge amount. They would also like more fuel-efficient cars since all their oil is imported (whether they can afford new cars at US prices is another thing). So, I'd bet a lot of the classic cars (all pre-1960) in Cuba will come on the market. Wonder what that will do to the '50s and '40s classic car prices.

stangfan

I remember watching a program on PBS a few years back. It was about the old American cars in Cuba and what the people did to keep them running. Not at all unusual to see engines and transmissions from totally different makes used in them to keep them in use. One part was about a fellow who re-manufactured brake shoes in his backyard. Yes, he was using asbestos!! Scary to even think about.

CougarCJ

Lets see, 50-65 year old American cars, located on an island off of the coast of Florida. They have all been in continuous use since new, no direct parts supply network from Detroit. Most probably have 300-400,000+ miles on them, and been MacGyvered' since Kennedy was in office. What could go wrong?

Spent most of my life in Southern California. There is still lots of good 50-65 year old Detroit iron in the Southwest.