• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tilt Steering Assy Comparison

Tequila

Hello,
First thanks to all of you that helped me find the right brackets and components to convert a 69 mustang tilt column for use in my 68 Mustang. I was finally able to get everything functional (except some sanding & painting).

I took out my old fixed column and laid it next to the tilt column to compare the two and noticed that the tilt column is about 2-3 inches shorter where it mounts to the rag joint. Also, there is not enough clearance to mount the rag joint to the rod. Am I missing an adapter or some sort to connector between the rag joint and the steering column end? Hopefully you can see the differences in the attached pictures. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I do have power steering.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140625_223853.jpeg
    20140625_223853.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140625_224014.jpeg
    20140625_224014.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140625_224049.jpeg
    20140625_224049.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23

dalorzo_f

Second pic looks like the shaft has been cut? Removing the flange to bolt to the rag joint?

I have one of each boxed up in the garage, I'll dig them up tomorrow and take a few pics to confirm.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Second pic looks like the shaft has been cut? Removing the flange to bolt to the rag joint?

I have one of each boxed up in the garage, I'll dig them up tomorrow and take a few pics to confirm.

Thanks Bud. The shaft doesn't look like is cut. I was just told that if you pull on the shaft slowly with a plier that it will extend out to the length needed. I will try it tonight and see what happens. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

somethingspecial

I don't think the shaft is cut, They were designed to collaps in a collision. Your shaft is a two piece telescoping shaft and it is pushed in. You should be able to easily pull out the shaft to install the rag joint. They have nylon guides, so don't pull it out to far as I have seen these bushings fall out if the two shafts are seperated. Should be an easy fix, just be slow and careful. Once the rag joint and column are istalled, you will be able to extend it to the steering box without fearing seperation of the two shafts. I would install the column in the car first, then install the rag joint. Makes it easier trying to go through the firewall.

dalorzo_f

Yes, they were designed to collapse, they are a two piece and the seam is up inside the column. Originally held by a plastic pin that often cracks allowing them to telescope.

As for being cut or no, all I can say is this is a 68 tilt I have for reference. It is hard to tell from the angle of your photos if the end is a "D" shape or not. Looked round to my eye, but maybe just the angle of the photos. The D slots into the rag joint.

HTH

CougarCJ

My resident tilt expert thinks that a 1968 and 1969 tilts can be interchanged, but the inner shafts are constructed differently. The swing away wiring is for sure different.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Whew...that makes me feel a lot better. I was so bummed out last night thinking it might not fit. Glad to know it's a telescoping shaft. Pretty ingenious I might add, especially in the days of no air bags.

dalorzo_f, the shaft does have the "D" and the rag joint should fit fine. thanks for the pics. I was trying to figure out what to paint the rag joint and the ends where it's rusted out. The rest of the column is charcoal black, I believe.

As for the interchangeability, here's what I learned so far...

1) Vacuum release valve is facing the opposite direction on a 69. Either buy the correct ones or as Marty suggested a while back that we could slowly unbend the tabs and flip it around. Otherwise about $120 for the correct one.

2) Vacuum Motor Bracket is different between a 68 & 69. WCCC has it for about $35.

3) Tilt Column mounting bracket is also different on a 68 vs. 69. I guess one could swap out the 68 fixed column bracket with the tilt column bracket.

These differences are merely based on what I had on the 69 column that I bought as used and who knows what the previous owner did.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I have one more question about the tilt column. Since the bottom section is adjustable do you think I could slide up the upper mounting bracket a bit (~1 inch) and get some extra elbow room at the steering wheel? Not sure if would mess up anything or even create alignment issues? Thanks.

dalorzo_f

IIRC there is not much play in the location of the shaft to dash.

Any chance you have pics of the '69 parts before modification? I can then take similar shots of mine (I believe it is a '68) and create "side-by-side" comparisons in a pdf doc, and maybe have it posted here as a reference for future use....

OP
OP
T

Tequila

IIRC there is not much play in the location of the shaft to dash.

Any chance you have pics of the '69 parts before modification? I can then take similar shots of mine (I believe it is a '68) and create "side-by-side" comparisons in a pdf doc, and maybe have it posted here as a reference for future use....

I have some. unfortunately I didn't take many. Perhaps we could collaborate and put them in the reference section. thanks.