• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Center console

Timmknz

So I found a 67 center console for free, brought it home. It is in pretty fair shape and I would like to make it correct for 68. What all does it take to convert it to look like a 68 padded center console, does anyone have a laundry list and supplier? Has anyone on the site performed this operation?
Thanks
Tim

dalorzo_f

I'd suggest considering selling it and buying a 68! Many different parts, I'm not even sure if the base is the same, it is a differnt part number, not sure how much it was altered.

The radio faceplate/door/storage area, top plate and probably other parts are very different...

Mosesatm

Tim,
Are you trying to stay completely '68-correct? If not, have you considered using a Humphugger Cruiser Console? It has cup holders, storage, and an arm rest, which are things that are sorely lacking on the '68 console.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

The 67 and 68 bases will interchange but there is a diferance in whether it is a automatic or manual The manual ones seem to be harder to find. There are no reproduction parts for the 68s. The only thing I have right now is the base pad for a manual. Good luck Marty

Ruppstang

You are right you need to cut top RH corner if you have AC. I have a pattern if anyone needs it. Also the console base is differnt for convertibles. Marty

OP
OP
Timmknz

Timmknz

Thanks Everyone

I didn't know what I was getting into with this, but free is good!
I think I'll probably sell it and see what I can find for a 68 console. I do like the humphugger though- lots of cup space
decisions
decisions
:)

dalorzo_f

A handful of parts are repro'd for 68's. The door and handle, the shift plate, the rear lamp lens, some wiring and a few other minor bits, and only recently the once-impossible-to-find longer radio knobs, but the bulk of the parts are not available.

The only difference in the base for AC and convertible are cutouts on the standard base. So an AC will fit anything, the front cut tucs under the dash and isn;t hugely obvious unless you look for it. And a convertible "can" be fitted to a coupe, the cutouts are not too extreme, but looks a bit odd...