• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

project car for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

You guys/gals are the experts on the gt/cs mustang so I have a question. I am looking at Ebay item # 2433269817 and would like an opinion, should I get it? I have time to take for the rebuild and storage as well. I have requested the VIN from the owner so that I can verify what I know to look at but I am new to this car and don't get all of the tell tell signs that you seem to. (This is the wifes dream car)

Duran

OP
OP
G

Re:project car for sale (more information)

I have the VIN and build tag numbers

8R01C162320

65A O 2G 28E B7 2 W

So it is a seafoam green coupe from San Jose with a standard interior and a 289, automatic. What else does this tell?

First of all, look at the sellers feedback, a lot of people are unhappy with him. That would make me question his integrity.

But, Here are some red flags:

67 steering wheel/interior
"I don't have the original driving lamps for the front, or the hood twist lock brackets. "
Why would this stuff have been removed?
Incorrect grill
Reproduction Tail light panel
repro side scoop w/ no screen

On top of these inaccuracies, one has to consider that the car is in very poor shape.

With all the work that needs to be done on this one, the value is at tops $2000, and that is if it a authentic GT/CS.

Good points about the car are that it has Original decklid and endcaps. Thats about all the good things I can say about it.

dbeal

There was a GTCS restoration project earlier this week on ebay that was much more complete.. but I don't know what it sold for..or if it was sold

Duran

I called the guy and he has a reserve of $6500.00, that is too high.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=Duran link=board=1;threadid=604;start=0#msg3174 date=1063925467]
I called the guy and he has a reserve of $6500.00, that is too high.
[/quote]

:eek: Wow! Is that US or Canadian $? As much as I love these cars I have to say that's a completely unrealistic price for one in that condition. There is a lot of work to do and several special parts to round up. The engine/tranny not being original won't help it's resale value if you decide to completely restore it. Also, the lack of correct front end parts suggests an accident.

Duran

The one with the 6500 reserve is item number 2433097341, it looks nice but there is a ton of work to do. The other one (2433269817) has a reserve of almost 4000 Cn and is a real peice of hmmm metal :-X

The owner of the other Gt/CS ebay auction 2433097341 for $6500 failed to mention that it had been totaled in a flood. Engine is seized, spark plugs were removed years ago and engine was allowed to sit without oil. Its funny how things slip your mind when your ready for the cizzash.

OP
OP
G

"The owner of the other Gt/CS ebay auction 2433097341 for $6500 failed to mention that it had been totaled in a flood. Engine is seized, spark plugs were removed years ago and engine was allowed to sit without oil. Its funny how things slip your mind when your ready for the cizzash. "

WOW!!! My car, without ANY of the... [ "RUST ISSUES: Most, if not all, classic Mustangs have (had) rust issues - this one is no different..."] rust issues what-so-ever must be worth over 10 grand now then, according to this!? Mine at least runs, too. Any offers??? ;-)

fast67

[quote author=Duran link=board=1;threadid=604;start=0#msg3176 date=1063931043]
The one with the 6500 reserve is item number 2433097341, it looks nice but there is a ton of work to do. The other one (2433269817) has a reserve of almost 4000 Cn and is a real peice of hmmm metal :-X
[/quote]

fast67

Let's get things straight here the 68 CS Ebay auction # 2433097341 is worth the reserve. I have seen the car and I have known the last two owners. I have known the current owner for about 6-7 years and he is a good friend of mine. He has high integrety and is a straight shooter, he tells it like he see's it. He never mentioned the water issue because neither I or any of you would have known it had been in two feet of water. All the water that was in the car after the storm, was vacuumed out about a day or two later. The water did not do any damage to the car except for the carpet and jute liner. These components were removed fairly quick to prevent any rust from starting. The storm did not caused the rust areas he explained in the auction, they had been there before. The cowl leak is very common in these early mustangs so it has to be fixed during the restoration. The little surface rust in 2-3 areas such as on the door and rear quarter are no more than a dime zise, so they should be easy to repair. The engine is out of the car and it shows no external rust. I talked to Jerry ealier today and he is planning to take the engine and have it checked out. He has a reserve of about $6500 - $7000 which includes about $1200-$1500 in new parts. Which in esence he is selling the car for only $5000. This is specially a very fair price for a California Special and is really worth more. Remember this is a C/S and not an ordinary mustang. Most project cars are not in this good a shape. I know because I have restorted a few in the last 25 years. So if you don't believe me come down to Texas and see it for yourself. So Duran, if you are interested in this car you will miss out if you don't buy it. Don't let some of these guys talk to you out of it when they don't know the facts or have not seen the car at all. I have....!!!

OP
OP
G

Any seller who fails to disclose a car was flooded is not a "stright shooter". Info such as this needs to be mentioned.

a GT/Cs that needs this much work is not worth the reserve of 6500.

BrandonB

First:

"The little surface rust in 2-3 areas such as on the door and rear quarter are no more than a dime size"

Uh dont CS' have fiberglass rear quarters?

Secondly:

Remember this is a C/S and not an ordinary mustang. Most project cars are not in this good a shape. I know because I have restorted a few in the last 25 years.

Dont most of us here own a CS? So we would know its not ordinary, so we might know something every once in a while.

jerry119

Hello all, this is Jerry - the person who listed the CS for sale on this site. I have some things to say regarding the issue brought up by MRSHELBYDALLAS, so I guess my comments are more directed toward him.

There is, and was, no intent to misguide, mislead, lie, cheat or pawn-off this car, nor any info about this car. I carefully considered the already-existing condition of the car and was very careful to check it out before listing it for sale. I am not out for quick cash or to make a killing on the sale of the car as you seemed to think and state - actually, I will possibly loose some on it. Also, you mentioned that the other CS car for sale had some questionable feedback on eBay - why didn't you also mention MY feedback on eBay? It is not questionable and does not cause suspicion, and I had worked at maintaining GREAT feedback ratings.

I think it would have been more mature of you to have had the decency to e-mail me and check out your details before listing your ERRONEOUS AND FALSE statement about the car being totaled. The car WAS NOT totaled - there is a non-salvage, clear Texas title as stated in the ad. Where did you get your information? I called the previous owner today and spoke with him - do you know him personally? The car was not totaled. He did not have insurance on it at the time. If you want, e-mail me and give me your name and phone number and I will give you his phone number and you can call him yourself. This also applies to anyone else who would like to call the previous owner.

As far as the flood issue, yes, it was invloved in a flood. The car did not stay in water, was towed to another person's house and the interior was removed, it was cleaned out, and dried out. There was not three feet of mud to remove - it was water. Any rusting was not a result of the flood, the cowl leak is not a result ot the flood (IF I AM OUT TO MIS-STATE OR MISLEAD SOMEONE, WHY WOULD I GO TO THE EXTRA TROUBLE TO CHECK OUT THE CONDITION OF THE COWL AND CHECK FOR LEAKS?)

Someone earlier mentioned that he thought the 1/4's were fiberglass - sorry, but they are production Mustang sheet metal - not fiberglass. So, there is the possibility of rust there as well.

I appreciate my friend that stood up for me - I think he was as P/O'd about the comments as I was. If you want to look at the car and judge for yourself the condition, feel free to write or e-mail. If you are unable to afford it, oh well ! As far as the reserve that was mentioned above - that is FALSE AS WELL - THIS PERSON DID NOT CALL ME OR SPEAK WITH ME AS HE STATED. He sent me an e-mail and asked for the reserve - I gave him a range of $6000 - $7000, and he apparently took that for $6500 as he stated above.

Thanks for this board and your time,

Jerry jebo68r@aol.com eBay rating of 385

jerry119

[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=1;threadid=604;start=0#msg3177 date=1063933944]
The owner of the other Gt/CS ebay auction 2433097341 for $6500 failed to mention that it had been totaled in a flood. Engine is seized, spark plugs were removed years ago and engine was allowed to sit without oil. Its funny how things slip your mind when your ready for the cizzash.
[/quote]

As far as "slipping my mind" - as I already stated, it did not slip my mind. By the way, what is 'cizzash' ?

Jayscal

Ok, what is the deal with the 67 interior? If you plan to get what you think this vehicle is worth, you should get a Marti auto works report to verify that it is a genuine GT/CS. Otherwise I think it is overpriced at $1500.00 Sorry....

68sunlitgold

I think we need to make it clear that there are 2 different CS's that are being discussed on this subject, the one, ebay item 2433269817, is from Canada has a of $4000 Canadan or about 2,967.14 US buy it now. It is the one with the 67 interior and has not been confirmed as a CS.
Now the second CS, ebay item 2433097341, is located in Rowlett, TX just outside of Dallas and has a reserve between $6-7000. It has been confirmed by Marti and by just looking at the pictures I would have said it was a true CS even without the report.
Now as for the price, if you do take away the parts he has purchased, the car is selling for around $4500-5500. I have seen many other Mustangs go for much more in far worse shape. As with any car, it is difficult to judge condition without inspecting the car personnally, ie the extent of rust and cowl condition.
Doug

hookedtrout

Looking at the detailed pictures and the great length he went to describe the cars condition I'd say he has represented the car very well without any intent to misrepresent it. As for what it's worth I'd have to agree with the seller again it's his, it's worth what ever he thinks it is. If it's out of your dollar range or priced higher than you think it should be then I wouldn't bid on it. And if no one bids on it the seller has the option to keep it or relist it. As for us sitting in cyberland judging the car I would say that is somewhat unfair as well. If I was bidding that much and had a question about it I'd go look, without looking I don't think we can really judge the condition of the car. On the other hand if a person has questions as to the history or condition just ask, don't accuse. Were all fellow mustang lovers, we never make a person better by making them feel worse.

Cory

Status
Not open for further replies.