• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MINT GT/CS for sale

CalPaul

Been reading this thread mainly for entertainment - but I get a lot of that in this website! Anyway, after been reading this website for over 1 year I`m seeing more disclosure on prices, etc. So here is my disclosure. I paid $24K for my car 1 year ago. I know this must be towards the top end of prices (published anyway) but I have no regrets as it is a factory GT, a new motor, rebuilt tranny, rebuilt radiator, etc. etc. Basically the car runs great and looks pretty good too. Its pretty much an original matching numbers car. I don't have too much time to spend working on a car so needed to find a car that was basically done. I agree with most members of this site that the $$ value is not the important thing. I ENJOY driving the car (brings me back to my high school early college days when I did have the time to rebuild mustangs. This is mustang #5 for me!). I also enjoy pulling up next to a new `stang and having them check my car out. Keep the comments/entertainment coming!

hookedtrout

Cheers CalPaul, it's only worth, is exactly what it worth to you and it sounds like it's worth it to you so you're dead on.

Hook

CalPaul

Thanks Hook. Hopefully we can meet at a CS 2008 location, or on a river in idaho. I want to introduce my kids to white water rafting!

hookedtrout

[quote author=CalPaul link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=30#msg12751 date=1122093913]
Thanks Hook. Hopefully we can meet at a CS 2008 location, or on a river in idaho. I want to introduce my kids to white water rafting!
[/quote]

We got some awesome white water rafting along with some awesome fishing, you're welcome anytime you get the opportunity. Like I said, my life is full of spending time with friends doing the things I love and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure Steve would join us as well. Cook up some Elk steaks, kick back with a brew and admire our cars after a good day on the river.

Hook

Perkchiro

Well, looks like the topics of GT/CS values and personal worth has been bantered around a bit on this thread. I hope I didn't ruffle MUSTANG's feathers with my comments. I just wanted to make the point that we should let the dollar values of our cars be set by the market. The personal values go far beyond that and it is the combination of both that make our cars special to us. I don't question or make light of anyone who says they have refused high offers for their cars. I take pleasure in knowing that the market value is rising and I believe it will continue to do so in the future. I also value this website and the members who offer their experience, expertise and help. I have a lot of fun viewing the posts and I'm looking forward to visiting and getting to know some of you in the future. Keep up the good conversation and lively posts. Remember, we're all on this website because of one thing, our beloved GT/CS automobiles. :)

hookedtrout

Oft times I feel like I'm in the stock market forum listening to all the banter on how much they are or aren't worth, rather than the GT/CS forum.

Just kidding, don't want to ruffle any feathers, you all know I could give a crap less how much they're worth.

Carry on, I'll read all the post irregardless.

Hook ;)

OP
OP
M

MikeinFL

Hey, it's me...the guy trying to sell the car at the beginning of this thread.. :)

I was getting in the habit of peeking at this thread only once in a while to see what was going on, if I had any "leads" or what have you, but it was always so darn quiet. I came on tonight and just thought, "HOLY CRAP!" You people have been busy... :)

It has been very entertaining reading your posts though, and I've learned a thing or two, as well.

To Slim, my thoughts exactly. It only takes one. I suppose I have been hoping that the car would cross the path of some Leno-type eccentric with more money and toys than he knows what to do with only looking for a GT/CS to round out his collection...and I know that is something of a pipe dream, but what the heck? I guess if I really wanted exposure I should bring to shows or something (no trailer...reluctance to accrue mileage).

The consignment idea came when I spoke to this dealer in Clearwater who ships cars world wide (quite a showroom) and has told me that has sold those cars before for $25 and $30K...but whatever.

Regarding Ebay, I have had the car on ebay, last year for a bit...and the highest the bid ever got was $17,000. I think it is funny how some people look at ebay as a reliable gauge for the Market, but I have come to think of it as more of an online flea market. I don't care what you are trying to sell, you just ain't gonna get what it's worth. People don't go onto ebay to pay market value...they want a deal. Unless you just want to whore out whatever you've got to sell for some quick cash (excuse the language), you shouldn't even bother with ebay. I guess I really wonder whether EBAY affects the overall Market more than the Market reflects performaces on EBAY. Perhaps I'm just bitter :)

Hmmm...

After reading everything, also...I might just take it off the market for while...not to wait on it's value appreciation, but simply because I do love the car so. It was actually my father's car but he got ill and died very shortly before the restoration was complete. He never drove the finished product. I guess I feel I'm driving it for him vicariously or something. In anycase, it is really more for the benefit of his widow (my mother) that "we" sell it. But......that is probably more information that you all needed or wanted.....but, what the heck?

I loved the story by the fella with the 12 year old son and the other with the 27 year old. I can't remember who posted them, but they made me really how great it would be to be to keep the car and pass it on to my own son. (Not yet...I'm only 27 myself. But, gosh...look at me ramble.

Anyway, keep posting! It's great fun reading your collective thoughts.

meadowsdk28

You know, it's like the Antiques Roadshow. They come out of left field with some of these items and you're thinking "Crap, $4500 for some costume jewelry from 1932" or "Oh my god that old bat just got the most tacky looking vase appraised for $10,000". The point is these are all appraisals and not offers. That's the show I want to see. "Well, Mrs. Smith, I appraise this one-of- a-kind quilt at, oh...$7500....and here's a check!! Never happens. I know I can get my car appraised for more than I could sell it for. I will never in a million years get what I've got in it, (unless I did meet that complete idiot, and with my luck, that just doesn't happen) There is a buyer out there for your car, Mike. You will eventually find them. Maybe not for $40K but well over $20K. I know it.
I will never have to worry about selling because as you spoke of these members with young'uns, I too have a 19 year old licking his chops for the day it's his. Not because he's greedy, but because he has quite a bit of sweat invested and more to follow. It's our thing, you know?

nfrntau

My son is 10. The only help he gives me is to stick his head in the garage and yell "are you done yet" lol
I suspect that will change in about 5 years when he sees that drivers license right around the corner.

68gt390

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=45#msg12816 date=1122308041]
My son is 10. The only help he gives me is to stick his head in the garage and yell "are you done yet" lol
I suspect that will change in about 5 years when he sees that drivers license right around the corner.
[/quote]

That's when the itch hits. My girlfriends son (14) has just started asking which Mustang he'll get to drive to school. You can guess what my answer was - NEITHER!
If he actually thinks I'm turning him loose with a big block stang as his first car he's nuts. His reply - I'll be careful. Yea I know how that one works to. I used to be 14 - 16. It's all OK until your buddies are in the car with you or you want to impress some little piece of tail that happens to be on the corner and before you know it there's that pole or sign you forgot about creasing the front end right after you realize "Crap, I've lost control".
Nope, looks like a "4 cylinder" to start with. I figure he can work his way up the same way I did. He may not like it but, that's life.

For MikeinFL;
I was the one who posted about my son who is now 27. I had promised him a classic mustang when he graduated from High School many years ago. I had just completed restoring a 67 Shelby GT 500 prior to his graduation. It didn't happen due to a divorce. Anyway - It's a promise I now hope to fulfill in the future.

Don 8)

nfrntau

If my son is anything like me at that age, (and it looks like he may be) He will end up with a 4 or a 6 banger to start with. My first car was a Maverick Grabber with a 200 cube 6. It took about 1 mile to get up to 80. Ask me how I know? That's the point, it won't matter what he's in, he'll want to see how fast it will go.
My stock 67 Mustang with 289 would do 105 at WOT, I flipped the air cleaner lid (gives you much more air flow and still seals on the filter without changing anything permanent) the top end went up to 110. It's an easy mod for a better breathing engine, just flip it back over when you want to show it.

bbeatty

Maybe I should think about buying the car that started this thread for my son so this thread would get back on topic! :D

Oh dang, I don't have a son. ::)

Carry on then. ;D :p ;D

CSWannaB

I think we would all like to break even or make a profit at such an interesting and fun hobby. Their really is no relationship between the rising prices of a Shelby and a California special. I think the CS's are definitely in good taste and should fall more into the original restomod or clone area. A shame they didn't come out with a convertible or fastback version. I think at 25k you want to keep it more than sell it and their is nothing wrong with that. I would think 20k would be over the top but who knows. I think that some of the prices that people are seeing on ebay are bogus... Just plain fake sales to tell you the truth but it keeps the market biting and going. Good luck and honestly I hope you do get what your looking for. I'm still looking in all the barns I can find. 8)