• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MINT GT/CS for sale

390cs68rcode

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=15#msg12661 date=1121826189]
Arlie;
Man you hit that one on the head - A "GRANDE". Hey Jason did you forget to take your laxative last week. You have definitely let us down. You are now officially banned from "HOOTERS".

Don :eek:

[/quote]

yep, a Grande to drive around when it rains.

if someone offered me $40k for my 289 CS I would take it and find a cherry 390 CS or even see if Hicountrybob would sell his 428 HCS. :)

nfrntau

Would I sell my car when it's finished?
What a tuff question. It's hard to put a price on "how much do I love my car".
My thoughts are similar to Jasons I must admit. If someone offered me enough money that I could buy another and fund a complete restoration at the same time, I would sell.
I have been thoroughly enjoying restoring my car, like several others here, I am kind of weird that way (and in other ways too ;D. Remember, it's the people who say they are "Normal" you need to worry about 8)).
Another question might be if I had to start again fresh, would I make the same decisions. .... YEP!
I LOVE MY CAR :'(

connvalley

The market is what dictates price with almost anything. 10 years ago, you could remodel your kitchen, add a new deck, new pool and not get full value selling your home. Today you can sell a home in Florida with the roof blown off for more money than it was worth 3 years ago..

As the GT/CS cars become less available (supply & demand) the price will go up in value. I'm sure a few GT/CS cars have been crashed during the past few years.. I still haven't figured out how insurance covers a total loss on a classic, I don't think they will give you $30,000 because that's what it costed you to rebuild the car. I think they will pull out a book like any other car and give you the listed value.. Has anyone here total their classic car and did you get fair value?

coloradoHCS

You insure it with an agreed upon stated value through a collector car specific insurance agency. If the value you are asking for is above what they consider fair market, then an appraiser will have to give an opinion. The insurance company will set the premium based on this value. Mark.

-=MUSTANG=-

Wow, permission from her husband to talk more than 40k, apparantly these people have never heard of Mach1's or Bosses. Since she was rude enough to get in to someones classic mustang without asking, just shows how ignorant she is in the first place.

Money talks, bullshit walks, how can anyone even say you should've taken the "offer" when one was never tendered ? repost when the cash is on the table.

I love people who can't do restoration math, I get a #1 condition car for a fraction of what it would cost for me to do one myself. Just because you "think" it should be worth a lot doesn't mean it is. Even with the cars we love so much.

Mosesatm

MUSTANG, I once took a course called, "Communicating with Diplomacy and Tact". Apparently it didn't do me any good but it might help you.

Perkchiro

I will have a #1 condition car when I've spent my 30 grand. One thing for sure, I'll never sell it to MUSTANG.
By the way, I'm doing this because of the love of the car, not as a profit motive. Get that?

007bluto

The prices for a GT/CS will only go up. It will take time because they are coups, but in the end the price will rise. As for the talk about $35000.00 or $40,000 for a GT/CS here's my thought........ I have personally stared down $35000.00 green cash on the table and turned it down. Once again $35000.00 green cash. I've taken my GT/CS as far as you can go with restoration, and tricking it out. Its a 10 second car, balanced, stroked and supercharged. The amount of money I've spent is staggering, the $35000. cash in hand offer was LUNCH MONEY TO ME. The buyer thought he would impress me, HA!!!!!! As for insurance, keep your receipts, get the car apraised, and get a special rider with your insurance. One more thing, I put the money into my GT/CS because 21 years ago when I got married, my wife and I were just barely getting by. One day she saw a GT/CS, and said that was here dream car! I promise her that one day she would have the nicest GT/CS money could buy. SHE DOES..........Bluto ;D

Mosesatm

[quote author=007bluto link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=15#msg12694 date=1121921457]
.....and tricking it out. Its a 10 second car, balanced, stroked and supercharged....nicest GT/CS money could buy. SHE DOES..........Bluto ;D
[/quote]

Will our honorable Mr. Athens take that as a challenge?

Paul, there was a racetrack involved in your planned tour wasn't there?

-=MUSTANG=-

Perkchiro, of course I get that, it is exactly my point. There are posts on this board that clearly show some people don't get "that". Take a look at ebay, traderonline. hemmings, you name it, what GT/CS's actually SELL for is a far cry from what some people put into them. When the reality of restoration math hits them I can hear the violins from here.

As far as a $35,000.00 GT/CS offer, whatever....

007bluto

Just for the record you will not hear me crying the blues or playing the violins. I have Zero/ZIP regrets!!!! Its a hobby and one of eight specialty cars I own, everything was paid for in green cash. Not taking a loan out, not robbing my 401K, or the kids collage fund, just cash. You can doubt or mock the $35000.00 offer all you want MUSTANG you haven't seen my car. Oh by the way I'm looking to start another car project, maybe I can buy yours real cheep..........Bluto

Mosesatm

I think we all agree that MUSTANG is correct in that fact that totally restoring these cars is not a real good short term investment right now. Long term may be a different story, though. That's probably not a shock to anyone performing a total restoration. We ran the numbers a few months ago and if I remember correctly the average total cost for car, parts, and labor was between $20K-25K. BFHD! It entertainment. Even after they are restored we're still going to keep spending money on them one way or another.

Most forms of entertainment cost money and this form, for us, is a whole lot better than throwing our money away at the track, or in Vegas, or on the golf course. (Ok, golf is a bad example, and it is still the only recreation I know of in which we gladly pay huge sums just to get royally torqued off.) And even if we don't get all our money back right away at least we did not lose it all either. We still have a liquid asset that looks unlike anything else on the road, and that's gotta be worth a few grand right there.

It sounds to me like we are all saying the same thing, just is different ways so we're all one big happy family again, right?

hookedtrout

Speaking of Golf I just spent the past week at our local Sand Dunes with a golf pro by the name of Bob May. He took Tiger to the edge in the 2000 PGA Championship and lost by one stroke on the third extra hole after they tied the final round. I met him through a mutual fly fishing friend. He and some friends of his were here at the sands so we BBQ'd at the house and they took me for a ride in their Sand Rail several times over the course of the week, the rail has 680 HP with twin turbos. Man what a ride. Next year when they come up he said he'd go golfing with me, he had surgery this past year so I don't think he's golfing much right now.

Hook

Attachments

• Sandrail_Bob.jpg
    Sandrail_Bob.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 15

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=30#msg12722 date=1122007014]
I'll bet Jason doesn't own one of those!!! :eek:
[/quote]

Probably could if he wanted from all the cars he does buy. ::) Larry another friend of mine traded the one he had for a new one through some guy at the sands that was a dealer and the new one cost him $80,000. :eek:

Hook

hookedtrout

Notice in the picture near Bob's hand, DVD screens in the back of both seats in a Sand Rail no less. ;D

Hook

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=3;threadid=1807;start=30#msg12722 date=1122007014]
I'll bet Jason doesn't own one of those!!! :eek:
[/quote]

haven't driven one yet. ;)

they don't really seem like my cup of tea to own. However a fast motorcycle or car that's a different story.

Mosesatm

That thing would be a blast on Houston's streets, especially during one of our weekly floods.

nfrntau

This thread has been around the bend and back.

Completely restoring your own as opposed to buying somebody elses restoration. Seems to me there would only be two guys looking to sell the car they put so many $$ and hours of time to build a project of this magnitude.
1. The guy who needs the $$ and has to sell his toys.
2. The guy who is a member of "the more money than brains club" who just enjoys building them and selling them.

When my car is completed, I will know exactly what I have. I will have touched every bolt, nut and washer on my car. There will be no mysteries to creep up on me in the future.

There's a more important part of the restoration that hasn't been mentioned and doesn't have a $$ figure. It's the comraderie that comes with all the hard work. I feel very lucky to have the friends I do who are willing to come over and help me build my dream. There is no price on that!

There are many aspects of the restoration that add to my days but that is my favorite part of this restoration.

-=MUSTANG=-

sorry bluto, I'm keeping my car.

mosesatm, exactly. Lots of discussions about what the cars are "worth", not many about what they sell for. They are appreciating, just not as fast as some would like or other types of mustangs.

It is my goal to keep the expeditures for my restoration within the window of what I could get for the car if I had to sell it for some reason. I picked up the car for $4,500.00 and am doing all the work myself with the exception of the metalwork and paint. After the GT/CS there is a 65 mustang waiting for its restoration, that one may have quite a bit into it. At least I won't pretend to think its worth more than it is or get bent out of shape if the sale price doesn't reflect what I spent on the resto.