• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The GT/CS Book Update (hopeful?)

P

PNewitt

I wanted to give you an update on the book, and it's (hopeful) production by this summer.

Behind the scenes from this website, I have been working hard on developing a very comprehensive book on not only the 1968 GT/CS, but also on the the 2007-2008 version GT/CS.

I have decided to go for an exclusive-looking book, with a few extra items that I think you'll like. At present, I hope to have a hard cover, 200 page book, with some pages in color. The GT/CS logo will embossed into the cover. I am trying to get a tote bag for the book, two decals (one is the original gold version, and a new 40th Anniv. decal), and a key fob (I have a promotions-items company working with me, but I'm open to other suppliers at this time. Attn: Tim). The retail cost per book, with the "trinkets" included will be $99 each, plus shipping.

Since the Mustang trademark issue with Ford legal has been so prominent (i.e. stores changing their name); I decided that I should approach them for a license to make the book and other related items. By having this license, it will open doors for future work of mine, and possibly, access to their archives. Handfulls of GT/CS items are unnoticed, but a book like this would require the proper agreements. Ford trademarked the GT/CS name in Jan 2006.

What this means is that I will have to pay a "good faith" advance royalty fee to Ford, which is a few thousand dollars. The printing of the book, and other items will also cost "several thousand dollars".

So--as determined as I am to complete this project, I will need some support. In about two weeks, I will be sending out a letter asking whether you would be interested in a book (or more than one), and if you would like to make a "reservation". No money is involved, just a note asking to be put on a priority list to get a "low-numbered" and signed book. I will be saving the first 100 (or so) books for myself to sell years later on EBAY. The letters I receive by mail will be accumulated by postmark date, and given a book number in that order. More than one by the same postmark will be selected alphabetically by last name. Note: please do not PM or e-mail me here, by U.S. Mail only).

I will need to know if I have interest in (by reservations only--no money sent) at least 300 books to proceed with this venture. This is why I am doing this mass mailing to all of you in about two weeks.

At the same time, I could mention the Grass Valley Air Show, the Picnic at the Jewell's, and a potential HCS BBQ in Colorado. This would cover over 600-700 folks on my list. This mailing will also determine the status of ownership, cars bought and/or sold, bad addresses, etc.

IF YOU ARE NOT YET ON MY MAILING LIST....

Send an SASE to me at: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617
If you sent in a registration for your GT/CS (within the past several years), you are already on my list. I'm still accepting registry information, so please "snail mail" me your car's info (and photos on CD) withing the next few weeks, since the Registry is now coming together. Car and owner information has been organized, filed and identified recently, and getting ready to compile into a database.

I'm hoping to get the book together ASAP, around my other (bill paying) work. My target date is "before July", but I'll know more about a specific date soon (printer production schedules, making items; and receiving production info on the 2008 GT/CS).

Thank You for your support.

Paul M. Newitt

390cs68rcode

thanks for the update. I don't think you will have a problem selling 300 books.

I would hope that the low numbered books would be available NOW instead of years down the road on Ebay. Seems slightly backwards.

rvrtrash

390cs68rcode said:
I would hope that the low numbered books would be available NOW instead of years down the road on Ebay. Seems slightly backwards.

I would have to agree. Give us who are supporting your project the lower numbers, maybe even a chance to match the last two or three numbers of our VIN. Years from now the epay crowd will be happy to get anything, and except for book #1, I'm not sure it would make a difference to them what number it is. I would like a shot at #112 by the way. I think that would be "cool beans".

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Some of the first 100-125 books are slated for contributors that have helped with the book, such as the folks that drove with me throughout Los Angeles.

Think of it as "artist's proof" copies. I agree, there is a lot of support from owners and enthusiasts. I may not have anything to do with EBAY and these early copies. The Shelby charity is a possibility--I just can't say right now.

To make it fair, I'll do this by mail from the letter I send out (you'll fill it out and return via US mail), because not everyone is on the internet and/or don't know about this site. I have many people on my Registry list that I think deserve a chance if they don't do the net.

Thanks for the support!

Paul.

Jayscal

rvrtrash said:
I would have to agree. Give us who are supporting your project the lower numbers, maybe even a chance to match the last two or three numbers of our VIN. Years from now the epay crowd will be happy to get anything, and except for book #1, I'm not sure it would make a difference to them what number it is. I would like a shot at #112 by the way. I think that would be "cool beans".

Steve

Gee Paul, I would gladly pay in advance to get a copy 2-100. If you limited these to one per member advanced paid that would be sweet.

68 GTCS

I agree, we are the owners of these fine autos now, saving low number books for future sales on e-bay? I think your books will be worth the same amount low number or not, keep the high numbers for later sales. Oh by the way I would like number 68.:icon_ecst :grin:

Thanks Paul,

Kevin

GTCSMustang

Paul,

You need to make more books. I need 428 (sorry Bob)!!! Do you anticipate a better price on multiple book purchases?

Scott

gtcs1

Paul,

May i suggest a different way to order low number books. By the way, I'm definitely interested to get a few copies for myself.

In regards to your concept of selecting letters by mailing postmark dates, considering the large difference in distance from people living nearby your home compared to people across different continents, just there you'll get weeks of difference just for that.

May be you want to consider collecting all the orders for an initial period (1 month or 2) than doing a random selection, therefore giving equal chances to all who respond quickly. Just my 2-cents.

Pierre

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hmmm....Now I know how Carroll Shelby got $5.5M for his Cobra Roadster...LOL!

Good idea, Pierre. I'll give the east coast mail a two-four day lead time, the midwest three days, and then the west coast. OR, I can say: no postmark for everyone earlier than "X" day. So, it makes it more fair.

I hope to print 3000 copies. Each book will get a certificate, with my signature and the number of book. Once I know that I can sell at least 300, with reservations, I can then move forward. That's my main concern right now.

I might consider selling just a few of the early copies for somewhat more money. One of my contributors already asked me for copy # 1968.

I added the "trinkets" for more value for the money, and I know that everyone will love them. In fact, question: for a key fob, would you want a key light type (LED) with the GT/CS logo/stripe, or a nice all chrome one, like you'd see for a Lincoln, Jag, etc. with the Registry Logo on it???

thanks!

Paul.

tworings

PNewitt said:
I added the "trinkets" for more value for the money, and I know that everyone will love them. In fact, question: for a key fob, would you want a key light type (LED) with the GT/CS logo/stripe, or a nice all chrome one, like you'd see for a Lincoln, Jag, etc. with the Registry Logo on it???

thanks!

Paul.

I vote for the all chrome one - it sounds a little "classier" to me. Will you be able to make some of the trinkets available for sale without the book as well? (of course I'll want a book, but might want more than one key fob) ~Lisa

our special

Hmmm....Now I know how Carroll Shelby got $5.5M for his Cobra Roadster...LOL!

Good idea, Pierre. I'll give the east coast mail a two-four day lead time, the midwest three days, and then the west coast. OR, I can say: no postmark for everyone earlier than "X" day. So, it makes it more fair.

I hope to print 3000 copies. Each book will get a certificate, with my signature and the number of book. Once I know that I can sell at least 300, with reservations, I can then move forward. That's my main concern right now.

I might consider selling just a few of the early copies for somewhat more money. One of my contributors already asked me for copy # 1968.

thanks!

Paul.

Paul, I vote for the chrome key fob. Please remember that we have to get our letters in from Canada as well, and the mail is not always the swiftest.
Dave

case12

I don't mean to start an argument, but rather just some healthy conversation....Why are low number books important? Is it a dollar thing?

I can understand asking for a particular number that is meaningful to someone. I collect autographed baseballs (over one hundred now), and I am happy to have the autograph with something personalized. The sequentially numbered balls/pictures are normally pursued by the dealers to gain a higher price.

Just wondering if I missed something?

BTW, I vote chrome.

Thx, Casey

luisa2552

I have a question. Maybe I'm doing the math wrong, but if there are 300 being printed, you're keeping 100, that leaves only 200 for how many registered here? And with many people wanting to buy multiple copies, will everyone who wants one have a chance at at least 1 copy?

CALIF GIRL

I understood Paul's post to say he needs to be sure he will sell 300 copies Once he can do that he wants to print 3000 copies.