• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

289 rebuild

severin

Hi
I am rebuilding my GT/CS motor - it's a matching numbers car - I would like to gather members thoughts on roller cam / rockers over standard and any recommendations on which and where to buy. Also, any cam recommends would be appreciated too. Thanks guys. Glenn

Perkchiro

I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but I did rebuild my 302. I didn't want a radical "lope" to my engine idle, so I kept my cam at a 256 grind. I understand that if you go over 260, you will get a definite "lope" at idle. I used a COMP cam (Part #FS XE256H-10) I also installed hydraulic lifters, forged aluminum pistons and rebuilt heads. I wanted to have my original heads rebuilt, but I was advised that I'd be money anead with aftermarkets. I purchased mine from "Powerheads" (Powerheads.com). So the heads retain an original look. If you are wanting to keep it original, then I would probably sink the bucks into having your heads rebuilt by a competent machine shop. Also, if are going to do the tear down and rebuild yourself, I would recommend the following book, available through most Mustang Supply outlets:
How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines: Tom Monroe, HPBooks. Rebuilding your own engine can be a rewarding experience. If you are not adventurous and mechanically inclined, I would probably just send it out and have it done.
Just some thoughts and my 2 cents. Let me know if I can help.
Steve