• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Harmonic Balancer

whodat

Trying to pull off the harmonic balancer on my 289. I went and bought a puller, but I was having issues with it. Any suggestions would be great. Also do I have to pull the harmonic balancer to remove the timing chain cover ?

SD GTCS

Use an impact wrench on your puller. It should come off easy. It needs to come off to access your timing cover.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I got the balancer off. Now I can't get the timing cover off. It is free and moves, but I can't get it to come off. And to add insult to injury one of the thermostat housing bolts broke off at the head. So it's definately time for a new intake.

franklinair

1.) Did you remove the 2 bolts that thru the pan into the bottom of the timing gear cover?
2.) Did you remove the key that the harmonic balancer slides over? (It could be catching on the seal in the timing gear cover.)
3.) Edelbrock Performer intake manifolds are nice, coupled with a 500 or 600 Edelbrock carb with electric choke.

Neil

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Got it! There was a bolt right under the timing pointer that was loose. That's why I could move it. Once I removed it I saw the cam gear with no teeth. The chain wasn't on it anymore. I think I'm going to pull it out and rebuild it stock.

Last edited: