• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Strange Data Plate

Mosesatm

Can anyone make sense of this data plate?
It's missing the color code and has extra digits after the DSO. I assume it's a special model but which one?

Thanks

Attachments

• 9108743-1968-ford-mustang-gt-std.jpg
    9108743-1968-ford-mustang-gt-std.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 40

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The 6 digit DSO and blank color indicates a special color Mustang. The '66 & '67 HCS cars had 6 digit DSO's. Same with the '68 Gold Nugget Specials, '67 Lone Star Limiteds, '67 Ski Country Specials, Color of the Month cars, etc.

I don't think there's a master list anywhere telling you what DSO equals what special color. They were just order numbers and got reset each year. Some cars that were produced in batches (like Gold Nuggets for example) would share a 6 digit DSO, but if you just walked in to the dealer and said you wanted a special order Mustang painted school bus yellow, your car would have been given a unique DSO.

Ruppstang

The 6 digit DSO and blank color indicates a special color Mustang. The '66 & '67 HCS cars had 6 digit DSO's. Same with the '68 Gold Nugget Specials, '67 Lone Star Limiteds, '67 Ski Country Specials, Color of the Month cars, etc.

I don't think there's a master list anywhere telling you what DSO equals what special color. They were just order numbers and got reset each year. Some cars that were produced in batches (like Gold Nuggets for example) would share a 6 digit DSO, but if you just walked in to the dealer and said you wanted a special order Mustang painted school bus yellow, your car would have been given a unique DSO.

+ 1
Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I ordered a Marti Report.

Do we know if there are any special color GT/CSs or HCSs?

Ruppstang

I assume you are asking about 1968's, all of the 66-67 HCS were special paint.
I do not know of any 68 HCSs that were but can check the registry to be sure.

66hcs-conv

Is the data plate from a 68?

And the DSO is 72? I think 72 is the San Jose DSO. Maybe that will help in some sort of identification.

Have fun, Dave

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here's the Marti Report

Attachments

• 8R01J127710 Special Paint.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 8R01J127710 Special Paint.jpg
    8R01J127710 Special Paint.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Arlie. I guess this confirms that Marti reports can't tell us special order colors. Too bad.

Ruppstang

Some you can if the special paint number can be identified, such as a 67 HCS color timberline green.