• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering oil cooler

zozobra

I just saw this on Ebay. As with many other things my car does not have one of these. Mine is a J code and I don't know if it originally had one, should have one, or if this part makes a meaningful difference. I'm not even sure where it would go other than likely in front of the radiator somewhere. Since mine was hit in the front at some point in its life I would not be surprised if there was once one there.

Any opinions, thoughts, sage advice?

Thanks

CougarCJ

Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme?:grin:

From my learnings and junkyarding, that style of mounting bracket is more for mounting to cylinder heads or air conditioning brackets on full sized Fords and Mercurys.
I looked for that part number in my master parts book, not listed, but mine is a 1975 edition?

If you wish to add one to your coupe, I would suggest getting the frame mounted cooler. I sometimes find them on Mavericks, 6 cylinder ones with power steering. Pretty easy to modify to look like the 1969-70 Boss and Cobra Jet Mustang cooler.

http://www.428cobrajet.com/id-ps-cooler.html

I installed one on my CJ when I installed power steering. Most likely aids in cooling the fluid, also adds a bit more fluid volume. Can't hurt, easy to install with one bolt, mount inline on the low pressure side.

OP
OP
Z

zozobra

Thanks, Iappreciate the information. I guess I don't have to worry about it. Several weeks ago I installed the second power streering pump on the car. It was almost impossible to bleed when installed but finally cleared. The last two days, however, it has been essentially locked up unitl I get down the street, wherein it frees up. Pretty scaring feeling. I don't know is it wants to air lock or has a problem inside. Any ideas about that?