• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Looking for '66 battery

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I need a new battery for our '66. It is a 24F

The battery needs to have little tabs on the side so I can use the OEM battery hold down.

Anybody know of where I might find such a battery?

Thanks, Dave

Edit: Optima has a 34R that has the little tabs, 3 year warranty, and a little over $200.

Last edited:

stangfan

Not sure how "correct" you want to be, but this is what I do. I got one of those Autolite Battery Toppers, that look like the top of the original battery. Then I went to NAPA and got a no maintenance 24F battery that the topper will fit over. It looks original, unless you look really close, and you have a modern battery underneath. Just make sure that the battery you get has tall enough posts for the topper plus your clamps. The battery hold down will work fine with this set up.

Just noticed you have a 66. I don't know about the hold downs on those.

green56

66 Battery

what i do is go to a ford dealer and get a ford battery works better then the aut o light and less cost then get the fake top and put it on looks just as good Tom From WI

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

THANKS for the replies.

Turns out the Ford battery at the local Ford dealer won't work 'cause it doesn't have the required tabs.

On a whim, I stopped at the local farm & home store Murdoch's, and they had a 24F battery with the tabs for $63! Made by Exide. Only a 2 year warranty, but at that money I can buy one every two years, and still spend less than an Optima ($200+) that has a 3 year warranty.

I'll get one of the fake tops.

Dave