• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

tires

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

New to this forum, and have a tire question. A salesman at Discount tire told me the tires on our Mustang need to be replaced. They are 8 years old and have only 10K miles on them. The car is always garaged and covered. They are not deteriorated on the outside (no weather checking) This guys said the rubber deteriorates over time. I am suspicious 'cause they sell tires.

What are your thoughts?

THANKS, Dave

rvrtrash

I've heard from several sources that tires should be replaced, at anywhere from 6 years to 10 years, depending on the source, because of deterioration of the rubber. If all you do is drive at slow speeds around town, you'll probably be ok because you're not generating any real heat in the tire but if you do any freeway miles with it, I'd replace them. It's not worth risking your neck and car for $300.00 in my opinion.

Steve

Diesel Donna

I need to get tires...my tread is great, I drive both freeway and surface streets and the car has always been garaged except for two years in the horrid Arizona heat but I did some calculating and realized my tires are over 12 years old!!! I forgot because they still looked so good, but I agree with Steve....not worth an accident.

~~~~Donna

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site Dave!!! My GT/CS had old LeMans white letter tires when I bought it, but they had no wear. I thought they were new at the time. Within the first year of driving it, two of the tires developed huge bulges where the steel belt inside had broken. It`s wise to keep fairly new tires on your car.