• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exhaust system

green56

on the 68 exhaust system i would like to put duels but do i put 2 1/4 or2 " and what type of tail pipes the Y type or the stright pipe is it best to go to your muffler shop or get the system from one of the mustang stores is any store better then the other to buy the system?

Mosesatm

on the 68 exhaust system i would like to put duels but do i put 2 1/4 or2 " and what type of tail pipes the Y type or the stright pipe is it best to go to your muffler shop or get the system from one of the mustang stores is any store better then the other to buy the system?

What are you wanting your exhaust system to do?

Do you want maximum noise, maximum power, a nice rumble, or quiet?

CougarCJ

You want an "H" pipe, dual Walker 3 chamber turbo mufflers (Dynomax?), on a mandrel bent 2-1/4 inch system.

Not store bought, if you can help it.
Too many slip fit joints on the 'kits' and it is all clamped together.

If you have a GT valance, go with the repop dual tips. Is that what you mean by a 'Y' tail pipe?

3 chamber anything mufflers have much less resonance at certain rpms. You will hate the drone sound of most 2 chamber mufflers.

franklinair

That's the way I did mine, using a local muffler shop. $400+/- plu$ the GT tips, plu$ the GT valance. Welded joints are better than the slip joints clamped.

Neil

OP
OP
G

green56

exhaust system

yes that is what i mean about the exhaust tips are you saying that i should have it done at a muffler shop instead of buying from one of the mustang stores

CougarCJ

Did you guys go back with original configuration with resonators and one piece muffler in rear?

Randy

I did not, but my above described system is installed on my 1968 Cougar XR7, and would have been stock with 302-4V. Dual exhaust, two mufflers, no resonators.

Non-GT 1968 Mustangs with 302-4V would have had the same single exhaust configuration as the C code 289-2V. GT equipped 302-4V 1968 Mustangs would have received the dual exhaust system with resonators and single transverse muffler.

Wild Willie

Exhuast Valence Question

Green56, good questions as I've been thinking of the same questions....

Good feedback and articles to reference.... I will go with a new GT type rear valaence with dual cut outs on the botom side, the 2 1/4 diameter pipe, H pipe, have a shop bend the pipes and install the mufflers (type TBD) and dual tips for each side.

what issues or things should I know or be aware of when I remove my rear lower valence without cut outs? Are the valence ends spot welded to the rear quarter panel? When installing the new rear valence, will it bolt right in or do I need to weld or have special tools? Please advise....

franklinair

Ron (clubpro) can get you the valance & exhaust tips (PM him).
The valance is not welded anywhere. Remove backup lites, license plate lite, rear bumper guards (if so equipped),rear bumper. There are 2 fasteners (1 on ea side) in the trunk well that secure the valance on each end, then 6 or 8 screws along the top edge of the valance.
A word of caution: I did this mod on my C/S, and the repro valances have a tendency for poor fit. The one I got was about 3/4" too short, and the contours @ the ends did not match the contour of the rear quarters. I ended up taking my original valance to a body shop and had them cut out the repro's exhaust cutouts and splicing them onto my original valance, and repaint. Then everything fit well, but at an extra expense of $300+/-.
I had the exhaust shop have the tips extend 1.5" from the valance (measured at the top edge of the tip to the valance)

Neil