• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original engine vs Crate or other

Calspecialdreamer

I guess I just couldn't drop the subject, or maybe it's just something that has me going, but I really feel and have experienced the depreciation from not having the original engine. 50% may be a Tad high, but I don't think it's that far off. I will agree that it does come down to personal feelings on the car and if you fall for it, not price is outrageous!
I guess I should also say I always keep my cars stock. If I add headers or carbs or something, I will keep my original parts and have found people want the original back on when I sell.
Another example. When I rebuilt the 289 on my 68, I first checked to see if the numbers matched. Had they not matched, I would have just bought a crate engine and dropped it in rather that spending the money on a rebuild. I believe my car is worth 6500.00, but if the numbers didn't match, I would say 3500.00.
To me, and I guess on this site I am in the minority, I won't seriously consider a vehicle unless it has the original engine. It gives you more selling power when the time eventually comes. RestoMods are different. It woundn't matter to me if they had the original or not.
Someone gave an example of a GT500KR with or without the engine. That is a good example of probably at least a 30% decrease especially if it was a 428cj!
Anyway, I would like to hear some more thoughts. Maybe I can be persuaded to change my thinking?

GTCSMustang

I agree with the above comment. But my view is also influenced by the desire to have original/unrestored cars. But eventually nearly all cars get resold and originallity does impact the price one can get for a car. I typically won't even go look at a car that doesn't have the original engine. If the original parts have been kept, that certainly helps. I have 3-California Specials and would put the value of the original engine at the several thousand dollar level. As an interesting point of interest, I recently made an offer on a GT500KR without the original drivetrain and reduced the price of the car by $30,000. However the owner did not accept my offer. And also interestingly they still have not sold the car. In my mind originality is a big deal. And as the price of GT/CS's increase, it will likely become a bigger deal.

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Good point on the Shelby. I may not have many people agree, but I wouldn't buy a shelby that didn't have the original motor. That is one car in particular that should be hard to find with an original motor (due to the hard driving of them, especially the "Hertz" shelby's), but most of the ones I see DO have the original motor! I am still looking for a GT/CS, but I want at least a 302 ( so I can get a true GT) and I want the original engine. Hopefully, I have time to wait!

68sunlitgold

When I went to purchase my CS it did not have the original engine and I said NO, but when he told me he still had the original engine, I bought the car.
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Doug,

Have you installed the engine yet or are you waiting? Also, when are you leaving again for Osan? Since they make everything else there, maybe you can get them to make you a Cal Special!!!!

68sunlitgold

Dave,
I leave Alabama on 27 June with a Portcall date of 7 July. I will be in Korea on 8 July 03 and leave on 7 July 05. I will spend 2 years there because I am taking my family but we intend to spend as much time vacationing in the Orient as we can.
Doug