• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Buick California Special

68MustangHCS

I've seen the Buick California Special. Did Ford do the California Special just to match GM's Buick? I'm pretty sure the Buick California Special came out in 1967. I've seen a couple convertibles and hard tops. My grandfathter was a buick man, god rest his soul! I saw one listed on eBay this week.

miller511

Here's something weird... I was talking to some folks last night when we were out to dinner in the CS. As we were leaving the restaurant and getting into the car, this lady getting into the car next to us says to me "We have a '67 Buick California Special at home!! Have you ever heard of one of those?"
Well, we stood around and chatted about Buick and Ford CS's for quite a while. She says they made them at the Fremont GM plant (now NUMMI)...just up the road from the old Ford plant in Milpitas. Learn something new everyday ;-)

Mustanglvr

Where does it say it`s a Special? What does the "GS" stand for? A "GS" transmission?
I think its a cool car and would love to buy one as an investment someday.

rvrtrash

I'm not a GM expert (I can tell you what the grills look like in the rear view mirror and that's about it :wink: ) but I believe GS stands for Gran Sport. I'm not sure how good of an investment it would be. Buick's don't seem to have the market/following that the equivalent Chevrolet does. Think of it in the same light as Ford and Mercury. A Torino is more popular than a Montego.

Steve

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Where does it say it`s a Special?

4897_1.JPG

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Rhonda. I didn't read your question correctly. You're correct that it doesn't say "special". It's a California GS. I think many of us by habit add the word "special" after "california". :wink:

Mustanglvr

Sorry Rhonda. I didn't read your question correctly. You're correct that it doesn't say "special". It's a California GS. I think many of us by habit add the word "special" after "california". :wink:

Oh good, you had me thinking I was going crazy or something, lol.:grin:

Mustanglvr

I'm not a GM expert (I can tell you what the grills look like in the rear view mirror and that's about it :wink: ) but I believe GS stands for Gran Sport. I'm not sure how good of an investment it would be. Buick's don't seem to have the market/following that the equivalent Chevrolet does. Think of it in the same light as Ford and Mercury. A Torino is more popular than a Montego.

Steve

You`re right Steve.
It`s still a very cool looking car and a rare edition IMO.:smile:

CougarCJ

Oddly enough, I saw one of these Buicks at the Route 66 Rendezvous.

BuickCalifornia.jpg

admin

Staff member
Administrator
And that's a totally different font. Now I'm even more confused. But thanks for the pic. :wink:

hotrodgrany

Attachments

• 4897_0.jpg
    4897_0.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 192