• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Musttang fan and shroud problem

scotty

I bought a second hand Ford (Mustang?) fan and it hits my aftermarket shroud. I am wondering if the fan is too big, it fits fine , runs fine without the shroud. If someone could send/ pass on the measurement from center to tip of the blade I could compare it. Thankyou All. Scotty P.

CougarCJ

Might be the water pump.

A friend of mine had this problem too, he had an aftermarket waterpump that was cast different than the 1968 vintage ford 289/302 water pumps.

@Holmes

Does it hit the outer sides and botom section or just the top where the shroud is molded to move out and up from the radiator? If its the top section it can be caused from the use of a three row radiator (or more). In which case you have to shorten the fan blade extention. You can get these at any parts house.

franklinair

scotty;

I measured my installation of the fan & shroud. Mine is a stock 302 with factory A/C. The shroud is 19" diameter at the most narrow point, the fan (stock 5 blades)) is 17" diameter. The tips of the blades are even with the most narrow area of the shroud, with about 1" clearance. The fan blades have about a 2" pitch, so 1" is forward of the narrow point of the shroud, and 1" is aft of the narrow portion of the shroud. I am using a 3 row radiator. Hope this helps.

Neil

Perkchiro

Hey Scotty: I had the same dang problem with my aftermarket shroud. The portion of the shroud that goes over the lower radiator inlet would not allow the fan to clear. I ended up cutting out that piece to make it clear. I think the aftermarket shroud must be defective, or Cougar may be right about the water pump. I have an aftermarket Flowcooler aluminum pump and this may have lowered the fan assembly a little.