• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Matching Numbers - Again

case12

I know this has been asked many times, and there are even pictures on the site showing where the block is stamped to match with the VIN. I have great reason to believe I have the original 289 in my car, but today was one of many attempts with a mirror to find the VIN stamping somewhere on the block. I looked on the back passenger and driver side above the bellhousing, and I looked just behind the intake manifold. Those seem to be two different areas several of you on the site have found the VIN. - but I cannot find it.

My 289 came to me with Rousch heads and an Edlebrock intake (I have the original heads, carb and intake in a box and may switch back to the originals some day). Is it possible the block VIN is hidden by the heads or the intake?

I have looked everywhere the site has suggested, and cant seem to find it. Would like to prove the "numbers matching".

Thanks for any help with new ideas where to look. Casey

68gt390

Casey;
It is very possible that the "VIN" is hidden by the intake. But, don't dismay if you don't find it under the intake. Rick Parker who owns "Boss Cars" here in Columbus and myself have had this conversation on numerous occassons. This is what Rick has told me - San Jose compared to other plants did not always stamp the "VIN" anywhere on the block. Example - I have found the "VIN" on my GT/CS stamped just under the intake but, have never found it on my GT. Go figure.
Seems that the San Jose folks did things in a different manner. My neighbor has a 68 GT 390, 4 speed and his "VIN" is stamped into the fender right were the notch area is on the drivers side. His car was built in New Jersey. I have also seen Michigan cars the same way. Every San Jose car I've seen including both my cars the "VIN" is stamped on the frame area but, you have to pull the fender to see it. It is not in the notched area.

Don ???