• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine oil consumption in a 289

miller511

Hi all,

Excuse my naivity regarding motors.

I've got a few question about what is considered "normal" oil consumption for a stock 289.

Questions are- Did these engines burn/consume oil when they were new?
Like 1 quart every X number of miles? I wasn't old enough/wasn't paying much attention to these things when I was a kid. I do remember folks under the hoods of their cars a lot more back then compared to now.

Also, how many miles on a 289 before it would likely need a rebuild?

Mine burns about a quart every 500 miles. Seems excessive to me. There's not a plume of smoke or anything when I start it up...even after weeks without running it....Sound like the rings are worn?
The only time there is noticeable smoke from the exhaust is when I jump on it from a stop sign/light...(or when doing donuts down at the end of my court...just kidding).

Thanks, Jeff

Mosesatm

If it blows smoke when it's under a hard load or turning high rpms the odds are pretty good the problem is rings....but not always. A quick compression test will give you a wealth of knowledge about what might or might not be going on in there. Is there an oily residue at the end of the tailpipe? If so, then the oil is probably being burned in the combustion process and going out the pipe.

I would say a quart every 500 miles is not cause for alarm if it's the engine has over 100,000 miles on it.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks Arlie.

I did a compression test and all cylinders have around 150 psi. which I was told was "good".
The CS's odometer rolled over 100,000 miles last summer...or 200,000..who knows.

-Jeff