• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

302 tunnel port

redonred

would building my original 68 289 (actually a 302 block?) matching numbers motor as a 347 tunnel port motor actually signifigantly take away from its value or add to it??

P

PNewitt

What do you mean by "Tunnel Port"? You have TP heads and an intake for a small block?

They almost made the 302TP for '68. It got shelved, and later became (through a Ford evolution) the Boss 302.

Paul N.

OP
OP
R

redonred

yes the TP heads and intake should very soon be in my possesion. I was just curious since not original if it would detract or since they are quite rare add to the value.

robert campbell

Redonred,
Tunnel port small block heads are rare indeed. As far as value goes, it is always easy to go back to stock from this modification. Basically bolt on. Butchering vintage sheet metal is a far larger crime so to speak. So go for it. In a way in my opinion it may increase the value.

Tunnel port small block heads suffered in street use as they needed a lot of RPM to work and produce low amounts of torque at low RPM’s. This made them somewhat “unstreetable” when used on a 289 or 302 deck.

Now with a 347 drawing air through them, they might work a lot better. More cubic inches need more air. Conventional wisdom would tell you to go buy a set of after market aluminum heads. But this would be a cool project!! And very rare!! I would recommend a professional builder. Scott Main at MPG heads or Cam Research would be a great source. He knows Ford engines like no one else. Colorado area or you can find him on the net.

I would go for it. Cam selection and lower gears with a 5 speed or AOD automatic will help. I bet a very streetable tunnel port could be built!

Rob

OP
OP
R

redonred

Actually i am getting them through a local builder with a fully equipped shop, dyno and flow bench included. Thanks for the suggestion of a builder though, actually this motor will be 1 of 2 347 tunnel port motors being built. the other will be going to a 67 fastback. I intend to go with a T5 and plenty of gear to make up for what may be a slightly "soggy" bottom end. When the motor is complete i will have pics of it and some of my car in the sad basket case stage i bought it =) thanks for the replies much appreciated.

robert campbell

Wow, what a cool project!! I am jealous. You will have nothing but fun with this at the shows. You may still want to give Scott a call on a cam reccomendation. Are you thinking roller? Solid flat tappet? He is the best in the country on Fords, and this project would test his skills.

Rob

OP
OP
R

redonred

Thanks for all the intrest robert, lol she is a long way from shows, and needs much history clarification before she gets to a show. lol suprised to see there are not any purists screaming to keep her stock...

OP
OP
R

redonred

Paul other than the fact they almost made production... from what little i can find it was a halfhearted effort at best, since the scca didnt pursue the homoligation issue. I have searched the net high and low and have turned up very little on this parts as a whole.

OP
OP
R

redonred

The TP heads are similar to the 427 variety the port runs right through the pushrod, so there is a tube for it in the middle of the port, and the ports are literally round on the intake side. They are massive... lol and have a matched single plane dual quad intake. Its my understanding their failure on the track was due to they needed to rev to the moon to make power. Any additional info is appreciated. As this is all i have at my disposal, at this time. The end of the week i may be able to post pics of the actual parts though. I am still unsure if they are the race variety with the shaft mounted rockers, or the "street" version with pedestal mount.

robert campbell

Redonred,
Your description is of the very very rare tunnel port small block head. Not that I doubted you. Headers are going to be fun. The exhaust ports look huge in comparison to stock small block heads. Seem to be in the same location physically so they should fit your Mustang. I have included a link address for you that shows some pics.

I might consider a 351 deck height block. A stroke even bigger than 347. The valves are huge and the engine need 8,500 RPM in race form to make horsepower with a 302. In this case, bigger is better. A 427 stroker is no more expensive than a 347 on a 302 deck. Or something in the 390 cubic inch range. Those heads can make huge power on the street at a reasonable RPM if you have enough cubic inches under them!!

I am so jealous!! This is after my heart. Total nostalgia, total power!!!!

http://www.wrljet.com/fordv8/tp302.html

robert campbell

By the way, the revised oil passages to support the rocker shafts scare me a bit. Does your engine builder have a solution for that??

Rob

John McGilvary

Thanks for all the intrest robert, lol she is a long way from shows, and needs much history clarification before she gets to a show. lol suprised to see there are not any purists screaming to keep her stock...

There are some purists on this site and I 'm one of them.
Sounds like you have a plan to make your car into a cool ride, so more power to ya.

Like I always say, " WHATEVER TURNS YOUR CRANK ".

John

OP
OP
R

redonred

Robert i believe, that these are the pedestal mount, street versions so that the revised oil passages should not be necessary. Thank you for the pics and the added info as well.