• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Restoration Costs

Mosesatm

It seems like the average price for a full GT/CS restoration is around $20,000 plus or minus a few grand.

Has anyone catagorized those costs as engine, rust repair, suspension, brakes, body and paint, interior, and so on? And if so would you be willing to share the information?

I think it would be of great use to those of us who are starting a restoration or are looking for a good car to restore.

Thanks
Arlie

rvrtrash

I kept a list of everything, but it would take a few days to compile the info the way you want. If you're not in a hurry, I can give you ballpark numbers. I usually placed orders with a little of everything in them, some engine, body, suspension, etc. and don't feel like breaking it all out to the penny.
Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Anything you can offer, even ballpark numbers, would be fantastic. thanks for your help.

390cs68rcode

here is something to up the "average" for wheels....

just spent $725 for NOS trim rings and NOS GT hub caps. ::)

for what it is worth please use me as a example to raise the average price spent on stuff.
028.gif

anyone got any NOS stuff for sale?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Maybe it's time we change your tag line to "Just say NOS" ;D

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1467;start=0#msg8620 date=1110983484]
Maybe it's time we change your tag line to "Just say NOS" ;D
[/quote]

or "How much is it gonna cost me this time?"

;)

off to John's this morning.

PB gtcs

Guys,

Paul is traveling. He should be back late tonight or tomorrow. He was our accountant on our build. I know he had it broken down for body, engine, and so forth. So, it might be enlightening. Will this sight take an attachment from excel? If not, then someone will probably have to coach us on how to get the info on the site.

Anyway, thanks again to those that have been interested in our build and for those who helped by passing info. If we can return the favors given here, we are delighted to do so.

Oh, dont have any NOS parts, but have some OS(used) parts.

Brian

PFSlim

Folks

As Brian stated, I kept a running total on an excel spreadsheet for every part we bought. I have it broken down into catagories. There are some costs that Brian picked up that are not added into these totals, but here it is. For you folks that are just starting your restorations, I suggest you close your eyes if you don't want to see these numbers.

$7164.80 - Exterior (includes paint, parts, and help)
$2955.24 - Interior (includes everything we did inside)
$84.30 - Trunk area
$965.90 - Electrical
$959.00 - Motor (parts and motor builder)
$340.00 - Fuel System (gas tank, etc)
$880.22 - Brake System (front disk-rear drum)
$12.95 - Transmission stuff
$10.95 - Steering stuff (don't have power steering rebuild numbers)
$647.80 - Suspension
$504.45 - Rear End
$248.80 - Exhaust
$133.90 - Chrome moldings and trim
$482.84 - Hardware (bolts, nuts, etc)
$463.00 - Wheels and Tires

$15,854.15 Total parts

Excludes what we paid for the car and I am sure another $500 for misc items. As stated, some of Brians expenses do not show up here.

Now, for those who are restoring, you can open your eyes now. Sometimes it is best not to know!! ;D

Paul

rjw

Yikes!
You guys are mighty brave to post such info for the better half to find...I'm sure the other half may have a home project or two in mind with similar totals...After I bought my GTCS, I am sure it was no coincidence that the kitchen was remodeled. One thing is for sure, your costs have been put into something that is appreciating in value; a rolling investment!
Richard

PFSlim

I am lucky that my wife does not visit the site. Otherwise, numbers would be alittle different. Good point though from all of you. I heard a guy say that we need to get the actual cost, then deduct 20-30%. That is what we tell our wife as the true cost.

Is that a good figure??

Paul

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I don't know how you guys hide the credit card statements and check registers but more power to you.

I told my wife that a car would be a lot cheaper and less trouble for my mid life crisis than a girlfriend. For some reason she didn't think that was funny.

rjw

Always pay for your parts in cash...no paper trail.
Richard

P

PNewitt

The Shelby American magazine, back in the late 1980s did a piece on "The REAL cost of a Shelby", which included:

-Out to dinner with wife to announce buying a Shelby
-Flowers on the day the Shelby was bought
-A '66 Mustang Convertible for her.
-etc. etc...

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

Are you guys serious? You really don`t tell your wives how much you have spent on your cars? You all act like its an everyday, ordinary thing to lie to your wives. I guess I don`t understand. I really don`t want to step on any toes here but do you really want wives that are oblivious to your spending? I`ve met women who did`nt have a clue how to put gas in there own cars because their husbands did everything for them. Your wives have a right to know about all your finances. It is only fair to her in case something happens to you. I think you guys are probably only kidding but it has struck a chord with me. Rhonda

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rhonda, I think most of it is tongue-in-cheek....at least I hope so.

19HCS68

Settle down there Rhonda. :eek: I don’t think the guys are saying, “I’m going to LIE to my wife about what I spent”. It would probably be more like; she did not ask, so I’m not going to bring it up. This is caused by what we men know as the “wrath of a scorned woman”. This wrath is a result of values and perspective. It has been my observation that men would spend $2000 on an engine and he is OK with that. She is NOT! But, she would spend that same $2000 on jewelry and be OK with that. I know what I think of that, and guys correct me if I’m wrong here. HE is not! Don’t get me wrong, I love to get my wife what pleases her. But we are back to values and perspective. My wife was not the one to say, “Let’s get this mustang”. I am the one who holds our car in the highly valued category. She likes the car all right, but she does not value it the same as I. There are probably a lot of guys out there in the same boat as I am. So let’s pose the question. Do all women tell their husbands what they spent EVERY time they go to the mall. I think not. As long as your finances can support your spending, things work out. Kinda like the comments in an earlier post; “I got my car and then the kitchen was remodeled”. Values and perspective at work! ;)

Just my humble opinion,

Gary

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1467;start=0#msg8695 date=1111216407]
Are you guys serious? You really don`t tell your wives how much you have spent on your cars? You all act like its an everyday, ordinary thing to lie to your wives. I guess I don`t understand. I really don`t want to step on any toes here but do you really want wives that are oblivious to your spending? I`ve met women who did`nt have a clue how to put gas in there own cars because their husbands did everything for them. Your wives have a right to know about all your finances. It is only fair to her in case something happens to you. I think you guys are probably only kidding but it has struck a chord with me. Rhonda
[/quote]

Phonda

My wife does not care what I spend on my cars. to some money is more important and where every penny is spent, not really the case in my home.

68gt390

Guess I've got it easier than most here on the site. I don't have to explain my cost to the wife - don't have one. And trust me that's a good thing (My previous one cost me enough). Now on the other hand, my girlfriend who just happens to help with the finances involved with both our cars knows what we've spent and has been more than happy to have done so. As she has plainly stated on more than one occassion - She would rather invest the money into our cars than putting it in the stock market at the current time. And yes as you can imagine, I'm very happy with that. Oh and by the way just so everyone knows - yes, the titles on both cars are in both names.

Don 8)

case12

Rhonda, I tell my wife how much I (we) spend. I must say that I am very blessed to have a mate to support my interests. For my 66 convertible, we bought it together in 2002 for $16k (show driver quality), and I just shared with her that the total is now up to $32k (gulp) - That does not include purchasing the GT/CS last year. When I told her the latest figure, she just turned to me and asked me when I am going to build her a 66 mustang restomod (and she is as far from a 'car nut' as you can get - she watches HGTV mostly). On the other hand, I just went out and helped her pick out new tile for the kitchen - so we share our interests.

That said, My wife told me she supported spending money on the cars on the condition that I NEVER say it is a good $ investment (and she is serious about that!). Casey