• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fuel Sending Unit

BrandonB

Well aparently its my fuel sending unit that went bad so I was wondering if back in 68 there were multiple types of gas tanks just incase because if there were diff. size tanks I'll be sure to know that incase there were diff. size sending units.

Thanks in advanced.

Jayscal

To the best of my knowledge all Mustang tanks in 1968 held 16 gallons. The original floats were made of brass, and prone to deteriation, its amazing yours has lasted this long. You can get a replacement plastic float for your original sending unit if you wish or buy a repo unit from the Mustang places for a '68. Its not a hard job to do, the worst part is siphoning the tank. You can get a kerosene pump with the squeeze bulb on the end, and some clear vinyl tubing from the local hardware store. This will set you up fine. The clear hose lets you know when the gas is flowing. Oh... and for gods sake don't use your mouth to siphon the tank, gas isn't very good to drink. :p

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

I'll keep that in mind but i guess I have a newer gas tank because mine has a drain valve. Old ones didnt did they?

hookedtrout

[quote author=Kahuna link=board=1;threadid=900;start=0#msg4979 date=1083093286]
I still have the original and it has a drain valve.
[/quote]

Mine is still original and has a drain valve as well.

Cory

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Oh ok cool I just wasnt sure so its good to know mine may still be original! ;D