• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wheel covers

Mustanglvr

My Marti report says my GT/CS came equipped with "wheel covers". I have seen on others Marti reports that say they came with "Deluxe wheel covers". Wheel covers mean hubcaps doesn`t it? My car currently has the chrome GT wheels with the center cap and beauty ring. No GT logo on the center cap. So did my car come originally with hubcaps?

case12

I would tend to agree with your assessment. My Marti report says the car came with deluxe wheel covers (they had good, better, best hub caps - ie, wheel covers), but along the way it got rallye wheels like yours. There is a debate that dealers could have made the switch in some cases when the car was sold. I think it is more likely that owners made the switch over the last 38 years. Casey

BroadwayBlue

case12 said:
I would tend to agree with your assessment. My Marti report says the car came with deluxe wheel covers (they had good, better, best hub caps - ie, wheel covers), but along the way it got rallye wheels like yours. There is a debate that dealers could have made the switch in some cases when the car was sold. I think it is more likely that owners made the switch over the last 38 years. Casey

I agree with Casey as well. I think people have changed them over the years. I think hubcaps tended to get lost or pop-off cars often in the past. My guess is they were replaced many time and probably upgraded over the yars.

My Marti report states "Wheel Covers" as well.
The previous owner found the GT wheel covers in the trunk when he bought the car and put them on. I've left them for now because I like the way they look.

Rich

68sunlitgold

Rhonda,
if the Marti report states "wheel covers" they came with the standard wheels (pic 1) if it stated "delux wheel covers" it came with the covers in pic 2 (note it looks like these have been cleaned and they tooks some of the paint off). If no covers are mentioned, then your car came with the "dog dish" covers.

Doug

Attachments

• 68 standard.jpg
    68 standard.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • 68delux.jpg
    68delux.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 34

390cs68rcode

you sure about the dog dish caps on CS's? wouldn't the CS's get non gt caps or gt caps?

the steel wheels with the dog dish caps are my favorite. my regular 68 and 69 Grande have them with body color matching steel rims, looks very old school.

68sunlitgold

Jason,
the dog dish caps where different from the non-Gt caps which came with the optional chrome or argent wheels. The dog dish caps came with the standard steel wheels.

Doug

390cs68rcode

The dog dish caps came with the standard steel wheels.

and they would not show as any kind of option on the Marti report?

the dog dish caps where different from the non-Gt caps which came with the optional chrome or argent wheels

I thought the argent wheels were standard on the CS's with the plain non GT caps.

Mosesatm

I'm pretty sure the styled steel wheels were an extra-cost option.

390cs68rcode

I would love to see some photos from 1968-1969 when these cars were new. the little things like wheels,hubcaps and tires would be cool to see.

68sunlitgold

Jason,
here are pictures of 68 wheels from the '89 Mustang recognition guide. The picture in the lower left are the dog dish hubcaps....I will look for a pic of a Mustang with them on.

Doug

Attachments

• 68wheels.JPG
    68wheels.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 29

68sunlitgold

Jason,
here is a pic of a GT/CS with dog dish hubcaps from the "Mustang Does It!" book.

Doug

Attachments

• GT_CS with dog dish.JPG
    GT_CS with dog dish.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 35

390cs68rcode

Doug

thanks for the CS picture. I am going to make up a set of those for the 390 to see how they look. 2 of my cars right now have the dog dish caps, they are my favorite. I had not located a pic with them on a CS. I have 3 sets in my garage waiting for wheels to put them on.

here is my Grande (can't find a pic of my coupe with the dog dishes)
grande.jpg

68sunlitgold

Jason,
I like the '69 colored wheel option, I have seen many '68 cars that the owner has painted there "styled wheels" the body color. Here is a pic of the styled wheels available in '69 (these are only 2 there are more)

Doug

Attachments

• 69 wheels.jpg
    69 wheels.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 36

Sarge

Mine came with the dog dish covers as standard equipment, and there is no mention of them on my deluxe Marti report.

Robert

nfrntau

My car arrived with both covers and beauty rings in the trunk. Three out of four rims were painted blue like the car and the fourth was black, there is no mention of covers on my deluxe marti report. I didn't get a spare with the car.
The fourth rim has a different number stamped on it. If anyones interested I'll get the numbers.
Were the spare tire rims painted black? or in the case of matching color painted rims, were they the same as the rest?

Mosesatm

All of my wheels are body-color too. I have the deluxe wheel covers that leave about 1/2" of the wheel exposed. Marti report doesn't state anything about wheel covers.

Doug's label is "Guru" for a good reason. According to my '68 Mustang sales brochure the standard wheel covers were the ones that he shows in his post.

So if the full wheel covers were standard how did some cars get just the dog dish hub caps? Was it a wheel cover delete option? They aren't shown in the brochure.