• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Turn Signal Flasher

stangfan

I had the car out for a run today, and before I put it back in the garage, thought I would check my turn signals. Left signal...good. Right signal...nothing. Hmm. Tried left again...nothing. I then hit the hazard switch and all appropriate lights flashing. I suspect that the turn signal flasher died. How do I get at it? My body doesn't bend all that well, and I have a real hard time lying on the floor looking up under the dash.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ruppstang

Steve it is not the flasher. Same flasher does both sides. Most likely a bad turn switch or conection. Marty

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I don't think so. The left side only worked the first time I tried it. None of the turn signals work now, that's why I want to try replacing the flasher.

franklinair

MAYBE: if you're really lucky, you can remove the ashtray & bracket (3 screws) and reach your hand thru the opening (towards the instr. cluster) and get a grip on it.
Ford assumed they would never fail, so they buried it.:eek:

Neil

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks Neil. So it is straight up then? Is the flasher hanging on a wiring harness or actually mounted to the back of the panel?

dalorzo_f

OEM mounts to a bracket above the pedals. Blue one in the photo. Difficult to get to, but easier than the emergency flasher, behind the left cluster support bracket, installs from the top. Not sure what idiot at Ford decided to bury these replaceable items so far up under the dash.

CIMG0178Medium.jpg

CIMG0179Medium.jpg

CIMG0176Medium.jpg

Anyone know if the OEM style turn signal unit with the tabs to clip in place is made? Been looking for a few as all the repros seem to not have them, and just hang down under the dash and rattle around unless you wire or tape them in palce...

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I've got the ashtray out, but can't see the blue flasher. I have looked up above the pedals, and still can't see it. Why are the simple things so difficult sometimes.

Dalorzo...how far up into the dash are those pictures? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

dalorzo_f

They are looking thru the space where the instrument cluster normally sits. As noted, you may be able to remove the ash tray, reach in and feel the metal bracket that holds the flasher, screwed to the pedal support.

It is not the most convenient location!
:wink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Yeah, I thought of that. I actually replaced the cluster when I first bought the car. I don't really want to do it again if I don't have to. :icon_no:

franklinair

Yeah, that's why in my first post I used the words Maybe, Really Lucky. To avoid having to pull the instrument cluster. :sad:

Neil

dalorzo_f

So on the flashers, I have a Tung-Sol 224 in the pic shown. Been told it is not correct and a Tung Sol 552 is.

Anyone have a known OEM unit, for each (emerg flashers and turn signals), and a part number/color?

And, the big one, does anyone have a spec sheet for the flasher units (I found '66 version with some info) as I see quite a few varaints and no clear outline for why one would use one or the other or a cross reference. I am guessing voltage, load, timing, etc based on 12V/6V, number of bulbs and dual vs single filament.

dalorzo_f

And just hire a local small child, midget, pygmy or dwarf.... they shuld be able to get their hand in thru the ash tray opening to get to it... :wink: