• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should I repaint my car to original?

ahainline

My GT/CS was repainted Candy Apple Red a while back (10-15 years). The paint looks decent still, a few chips here and there but nothing bad. Originally the car was Brittany Blue. I was looking at the other Marti reports and was noticing that there arent a lot of Brittany Blue GT/CS's on the site. Should I repaint mine to the original or just leave well enough alone? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a good paint job? Thanks
Tony

Mosesatm

Oh no!!! Hopefully Arlie won't read this post.

Too late. I already have a call into Von Quack, but it's Friday afternoon so chances are he won't call back until Monday. I'll probably be curled up in a corner of the garage until then.

Normally I'd say to take it back to original (especially Brittany Blue!) but that is a lot of work and it may depend on how much work you want to do or money you are willing to spend. Repainting it red is cheaper, easier, and faster, but Brittany Blue is a rare and IMHO a more sophisticated color.

Need more info to estimate a price.
Is there any bodywork to do on the car? Dents, body rust, floors, fiberglass repair?

Do you want a show quality job that is hand sanded and buffed, or driver quality that may have a little orange peel?

Are you going to strip off all the old paint or paint over it?

If you have it stripped are you going to do it with a razor blade, are you going to have it chemically strippped, or blasted?

How many paint jobs are on the car now? Find a nick in the paint and see how many layers there are.

It can get real expensive real fast.

rvrtrash

Everything Arlie said plus, if you strip things like lights, chrome, bumpers, grill, etc. yourself, you can save some money. Figure you're paying someone $45.00-$55.00 per hour, plus materials to work on your car. If you can do some of the prep work yourself, it adds up quick. Just buying a $20.00 heat gun and spending a couple of hours removing stripes saves money. It just depends on how comfortable you feel making your car look like it's been in a chop shop. Get your estimates first though. You don't want to drive around town getting quotes with no bumpers or lights.

Steve

Perkchiro

So Red is not a sophisticated color Arlie? We all have a right to our opinions, but to those of us who have Red Cars. . . . . .Viva La RED!!!!!!!!

Mosesatm

So Red is not a sophisticated color Arlie? We all have a right to our opinions, but to those of us who have Red Cars. . . . . .Viva La RED!!!!!!!!

Steve. I did not say that red was not sophisticated. Please carefully re-read what I wrote.

The word "more" is used to compare 2 items that share a common property. If item 2 has more of something than item 1 that pretty well means that both items have some of the same thing. In this case that property is sophistication.

Midnight Special

...What Perkie said! ;-)

Attachments

• 0465.JPG
    0465.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 0470.JPG
    0470.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 0474.JPG
    0474.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 0473.JPG
    0473.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 0030.jpg
    0030.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Perkchiro

"Repainting it red is cheaper, easier, and faster, but Brittany Blue is a rare and IMHO a more sophisticated color."

It's Ok Arlie, I understood the first time I read it. Very clearly understood, no need to explain it.

Mosesatm

"Repainting it red is cheaper, easier, and faster, but Brittany Blue is a rare and IMHO a more sophisticated color."

It's Ok Arlie, I understood the first time I read it. Very clearly understood, no need to explain it.

Good, it sounded to me like you misunderstood the definition of "more". Glad we're on the same page!

CALIF GIRL

I gotta go with viva la red....

But seriously it is your car and only you can decide what color fits you and your car best.....

My car was repainted recently. Prior to the repaint it had the paint you see in this picture on it. It was sanded to bare metal all body work done and then painted....... I loved the way she looked.

My garage caught fire and the car was in it. The paint was bubbled, and plastic was melted on it. So it went to the shop for another paint job. This time they did all the work.

The new paint job cost about $9,000. She came out of the shop looking just as good as before the fire.

A lot of the price is labor. My first paint cost way less because I took it to bare metal myself. The more prep you do yourself the less the labor will cost you when you take it in for the paint.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 22

Perkchiro

I'm sorry Arlie but that definition of "more" has been a tough one for me to grasp. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!! I guess that the color Blue, now being "more" sophisticated than the color Red, makes perfect sense and it means that both are equally sophisticated. Is that right?

Hey Arlie, I'm just yanking your chain. I'm in a mischievous mood this evening.

P

PNewitt

Oh, Boy....the choice of color....

Before I discuss "color", let me just add that when you read about the true rarity of these cars today, you'll want to go back to original--no matter what color your CS is, or was...

'68 Shelby owners would pretty much go back to original, regardless of the color, because of their values, and the importance of going back to what it was. Many classic cars have returned to their original color--regardless if it's popular today or not, because of that car's historical significance. We're approaching that "historical" thinking quickly.

I see some spirited ribbing here about the color red. Ferrari likes it, and "Little Red" was..umm.well....RED!

The color choices for 1968 Fords were chosen in mid-'67, and lime gold was popular (such as appliances, etc.), and one should consider the culture back then as to how the Ford color palatte was chosen.

There were a few of the Mustang colors that were also used on the Lincolns, and Cougars. EVERY color has it's place, and when you put it in context, you'll know that it's the right color. Sure, tons of old, chalky lime green Mustangs were painted red. Red seems like that sure-fire sportscar color, and maybe it's become a cliche'. That's not to say that Candyapple Red is less sophisticated than any other color. To say "sophisticated", it might mean colors like they use on BMWs, Jags or Aston Martins--which used on a '68 Mustang, would look out of place, or too custom by comparison to an original color.

However, ANY of the other colors, when they are in factory condition, are impressive. It's the Shelby fiberglass, and the stripes that will set off any color choice. The addition of styled steel Rally wheels, and perhaps a vinyl top in black or white adds even more. The interior color has a lot to do with how it looks, too.

It's all about context. 1968 context. Think of some of the 1955-57 T-Bird colors. "Coral" reminds me of thousand island salad dressing! But--it's a proper color for that period. Today, Ford brought back Lime Gold, with Legendary Lime. Same color. Go figure.

So, I'd go with the Brittany Blue. (psst...it was used on racing Ford GT-40s).

Paul N.

p.s. this discussion begs the additional question: "should I completely tear the car down and rebuild it?"...(after 40 years?)

joedls

I see some spirited ribbing here about the color red. Ferrari likes it, and "Little Red" was..umm.well....RED!

Did someone say Ferrari Red? As in Rosso Fuoco?

Attachments

• P1010112(2).JPG
    P1010112(2).JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010267-2.JPG
    P1010267-2.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010289-2.JPG
    P1010289-2.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

John McGilvary

My GT/CS was repainted Candy Apple Red a while back (10-15 years). The paint looks decent still, a few chips here and there but nothing bad. Originally the car was Brittany Blue. I was looking at the other Marti reports and was noticing that there arent a lot of Brittany Blue GT/CS's on the site. Should I repaint mine to the original or just leave well enough alone? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a good paint job? Thanks
Tony

Tony,

I say, " Whatever Turns Your Crank ". Red is cool.

As for me Brittany Blue was my choice out of all the colors 39 years ago when I bought my CS and it still is.

John

Last edited:

wally05

You know, I was thinking the same thing about my GT/CS. Really, after a paintjob, it would be one heck of a show car. I wouldn't know whether to take it back to the original lime or have it repainted acapulco blue (gorgeous color btw).

Korey

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Is there any bodywork to do on the car? Dents, body rust, floors, fiberglass repair?

Do you want a show quality job that is hand sanded and buffed, or driver quality that may have a little orange peel?

Are you going to strip off all the old paint or paint over it?

If you have it stripped are you going to do it with a razor blade, are you going to have it chemically strippped, or blasted?

How many paint jobs are on the car now?

thanks for all the responses guys.. I know it will be a while before I worry about the repaint but it is good to get other perspectives so that I can start planning. I guess a lot of it depends on how far do I want to get into making it original.. b/c if I go back to the brittany blue and continue with the originality theme.. then I am going to have to redo the interior back to blue (currently black) etc... could quickly spiral out of control. but to answer a few questions..

Is there any bodywork to do on the car? No body work would need to be done, its completely rust/dent free.

Do you want a show quality job that is hand sanded and buffed, or driver quality that may have a little orange peel? Definately a show quality paint, no sense in doing it if it isnt going to be perfect.

Are you going to strip off all the old paint or paint over it? I do believe it was stripped the last time it was painted.. so I dont know what would be best here.

If you have it stripped are you going to do it with a razor blade, are you going to have it chemically strippped, or blasted? Again, depending on cost and efficiency I guess.. w/e is best.

How many paint jobs are on the car now? 1, looked at the chips and it is a white colored primer underneath.. no blue

Tony

Attachments

• 1016071331[1].jpg
    1016071331[1].jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 32

robert campbell

Tony,
Thread kinda took a turn didn’t it!!! Joe saw that immediately!!! I thought for a minute that it was democrats verses republicans!!!

Lots of good info in it though. It is amazing the cost of a good paint job. Even a driver one. The critical information you need to supply is how much do YOU want to do by yourself? If you are thinking of a full rotisserie job with you dropping the keys off and coming back late, better get some serious green out. $15 to $20k. I have a contact here in the Northwest that does this for people, and mostly for Shelby’s. And at the same time he will do all mechanical work and new interior and chrome and on and on…… Those get to be $50k and better projects.

I would say if you can disassemble and reassemble the car yourself, you can shop around for the $5k to $6k job that will be a very nice job. You car deserves to have the windows out and the interior out to ensure it is not a “tape and paint” job. Engine out, fenders and doors off, and the backend completely disassembled, Headlight doors removed from the front fender. A driver can stay off the rotisserie.

Huge project, but very manageable in your own garage. Most wives do not mind if you store freshly painted fenders and doors on the living room couch during the holidays…. It kinda helps the marriage blossom and grow into ………. A big weed…… Unless you married my wife. She loves the cars more than I do!!!

Rob

Last edited: