• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help with Power Steering

shane18fly

Took the GT/CS out for a spin this weekend and when returning had to make a sharp left turn into our driveway and garage. Almost immediately upon reaching the end point of my left hand turn I felt a pop, followed by smoke and a fire. After evacuating the car and getting all to safety, I opened the hood and doused the fire on the left side of the engine compartment. Upon further inspection I found the intake pressure hose( not the return hose) was ruptured at its mid portion. The fire was of course from the spewing steering fluid. No major damage elsewhere fortunately-only a couple of wire harness plastic covers to replace. My question: Did I have a primary hose failure(I did not see anything it contacted or could have contacted) or could there be a control valve problem. I am going to replace the pressure hose but would sure like to know if I need to worry about the control valve as the source of failure and exceedingly high pressure. We had absolutely no problems with the steering prior to the rupture.Thanks!!shane

ari guy

I cant answer your question, but am here to report the same thing happened to me on my cal special several years ago, fire and all. I worried about it, but replaced the hose and it never happened again..........to this day I think about it when cramping the wheel to a hard right or left. Doc

sam

Where is the best source to get a power steering pump replacement? I have had very bad luck and replaced at leat 4 in 14years...........frustrating !

robert campbell

Shane,
Not to worry about the control valve. It only controls which way the fluid goes. Pump specifies the pressure. Put a new hose on and good to go. Early 68 cars have a small pressure fitting into the control valve. Later ones a larger fitting. I would suspect yours is the later and larger fitting.

Rob

CougarCJ

It was early 1967 cars that have the 1/4 fitting for the control valve. All 1968 cars are supposed to have a 5/16 inch fitting on the high pressure side of the control valve.

robert campbell

Scott,
My 68 GNS came with the 1/4 fitting on the control valve. Just like our 1967. My guess was a long tranistion occured.

Rob