• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Hose Routing

robert campbell

Help,
Rob obviously does not know how the pressure hose on a 1968 Mustang with a 302 or 289 is routed. Can someone post a couple pictures? My old pressure hose that fit the 1/4 fitting worked perfectly. About half of the hose was a very "bendy" small hose that followed the control valve perfectly from lock to lock. I had is secured to the shock tower with a couple clamps and it was a very clean looking install. The hose from Napa for the 5/16 fitting on my new control valve was a very stiff one piece larger hose. It didn't want to follow anything!

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob,
These pictures are of our 67 GTA that used the 1/4 fitting too. Many of the 68s used a rubber strap to pull the hose back to the shock tower. I have never had any luck with the auto parts store hoses. Maybe R&R Classics can help you. If not NPDs stuff is not too bad. If you want the best I would have Roger at Rhodes Restorations in Ohio custom make you some. He is as close to OEM as anyone but takes a week or two. GOOD LUCK I don't think you could have any more bad! Marty
PS. If you need any more pics let me know I could get some of the 68 fastback.
I almost forgot do you have the metal bracket and rubber insulator shown in picture # 2 ?

Attachments

• 67 Power steering hose routing 001.JPG
    67 Power steering hose routing 001.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,408
  • 67 Power steering hose routing 002.JPG
    67 Power steering hose routing 002.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 67 Power steering hose routing 003.JPG
    67 Power steering hose routing 003.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,563
  • 67 Power steering hose routing 004.JPG
    67 Power steering hose routing 004.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,667
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty,
Wow, Thanks!! First of all, how clean is your car!!!

That is what I thought they looked like. Mine was very close to that with the first hose. The Napa hose would not "lay" in there very well no matter what I did.

Neil called me and we also talked about how bad the Napa hoses fit. He may post a pic or two also.

Lesson learned!!!

Rob

gtcs1

Help,
Rob obviously does not know how the pressure hose on a 1968 Mustang with a 302 or 289 is routed. Can someone post a couple pictures? My old pressure hose that fit the 1/4 fitting worked perfectly. About half of the hose was a very "bendy" small hose that followed the control valve perfectly from lock to lock. I had is secured to the shock tower with a couple clamps and it was a very clean looking install. The hose from Napa for the 5/16 fitting on my new control valve was a very stiff one piece larger hose. It didn't want to follow anything!

Rob

May be these can give more help, these are the original hoses and strap on the shock tower.

Attachments

• Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 036.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 036.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 970
  • Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 038.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 038.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 976
  • Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 039.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 039.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,358

CougarCJ

We just located a company that is supposed to have exact concours hoses.

Of course they want concours prices. :eek:

Copies of original 1967-68's with various engines, not generic "good enough" PepBoys replacements.

I will try and post something this week.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

May be these can give more help, these are the original hoses and strap on the shock tower.

This is what I thought. and your hose has the steel connector that is "secured" by the double hose holder clamp down low. My "crapa" hose was just one long hose. And it looks like your hose is smaller after the steel connection and I bet more plyable than the one I was working with!

I still can't open the hood...... Lots of cleaning to do.... I need someone to fly in and hold my hand and hug me!!! and then get down there and clean that stinking car!!! I feel a bit like Amy after Satan tried to kick her ass!

Rob

rvrtrash

I wonder if they would let me bring my pressure washer on the plane as carry on luggage? :grin:

Steve

somethingspecial

Rob, It doesn't take long for ATF and brake fluid to start stipping paint. If I were you, I'd be opening the hood and pressure washing everything. You may need to repaint lots o stuff under the hood. JMHO. Mike

Midnight Special

I wonder if they would let me bring my pressure washer on the plane as carry on luggage? :grin:

Steve

...We pressure washed Donna's car upon her arrival when she blew her hose on the way up from LA. It cleaned up nicely, plus, we gave her a bank of plug wires to replace the charred ones. Although brake fluid is caustic, ATF and some soot shouldn't hurt anything...

As for hoses (since you're not uptight 'bout concours) You can take your old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them make steel braided ones using your existing piping & fittings. Our local auto parts machine shop did that for my clone which has headers... In addition to better flexibility and heat protection, this allowed me to route them for better fit & function...

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

...We pressure washed Donna's car upon her arrival when she blew her hose on the way up from LA. It cleaned up nicely, plus, we gave her a bank of plug wires to replace the charred ones. Although brake fluid is caustic, ATF and some soot shouldn't hurt anything...

As for hoses (since you're not uptight 'bout concours) You can take your old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them make steel braided ones using your existing piping & fittings. Our local auto parts machine shop did that for my clone which has headers... In addition to better flexibility and heat protection, this allowed me to route them for better fit & function...

Tim,
Crap, never thought of that. We have a speciality shop in the area that just does hydraulic hoses! Duh! Thanks for the whack in the brain cells!!!

Rob

tomcwarren

Rob,

Lots of good info on the Ford PS system here:

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html

This guy also does first-class PS component rebuilds - mine has been perfect (easy 1-finger steering, tracks perfectly straight & true, no shudders/judders lock-to-lock, no leaks, etc.) since he rebuilt my control valve a year or so ago.

Your 'mind of its own' steering could be due to a binding/maladjusted spool valve/centering spring, or even reversed CV short-hoses (common, but it would probably have a much more violent behavior that what you report.). Check out the troubleshooting section on the site above, as well as the CV info.

Good luck!

Tom

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tom,
Great information! Thanks! My steering just sits there with the engine running, even with the tires off the ground. Move it anywhere and it just sits still.

Looks like there is one more adjustment that may also affect the steering. I think I will calll this guy.

Rob