• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering HP Hose Meltdown

tjbrace

The HP PS hose on my 289 is touching the header when I turn and has melted through. I just purchased a new hose and wonder if I'm missing a bracket or insulator to keep these two parts apart. Thanks very much for any assistance... teej

gtcs1

The HP PS hose on my 289 is touching the header when I turn and has melted through. I just purchased a new hose and wonder if I'm missing a bracket or insulator to keep these two parts apart. Thanks very much for any assistance... teej

Hi,
There is a bracket and 2 rubber type straps. Hope this is what you're looking for

Attachments

• Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 036.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 036.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 038.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 038.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 039.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 039.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 73

Midnight Special

I had the same problem w/ the CS clone. The standard bracket didn't work because of the shape & placement of the headers. We had to use steel braided lines and do some creative tie-wrapping to get it to work Make sure you have someone observe while you cycle the steering "stop to stop" so the lines don't touch the exhaust during a turn...

I'm thinking of replacing the headers w/ stock manifolds... All I seem to do is melt plug wires, PS hoses & develop exhaust leaks about every 3 months...

OP
OP
tjbrace

tjbrace

Exactly!

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for. Previous owner installed larger headers thus minimizing available room. They removed the bracket and rubber straps (are those stock?) and did not make any provision.
Have a great day and thanks again for the quick response; with pictures!
teej

gtcs1

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for. Previous owner installed larger headers thus minimizing available room. They removed the bracket and rubber straps (are those stock?) and did not make any provision.
Have a great day and thanks again for the quick response; with pictures!
teej

Hi
Yes these are stock original items.

miller511

Do the Mustang aftermarket places sell the rubber strap that holds the PS hose away from the exhaust manifold? I always thought that item on my car was something the previous owner rigged up...I guess because it looks like a piece of a tire that was cut into a strip.
-Jeff

Midnight Special

Do the Mustang aftermarket places sell the rubber strap that holds the PS hose away from the exhaust manifold? I always thought that item on my car was something the previous owner rigged up...I guess because it looks like a piece of a tire that was cut into a strip.
-Jeff

...Indeed, and after years of oil contamination & heat - they tend to evaporate when you have to disturb them...

BroadwayBlue

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but NPD sells this

3A672 STRAP, PS Hose​
67-70 Rubber w/steel rivet, holds hoses at control valve
...................................................3A672-1 6.00

I can't locate the number (3A672) in the diagram though

See attached for the catalog page...​

Attachments

• M07 70.pdf
    272.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
tjbrace

tjbrace

Installed!

Thanks for the info from NPD, Rich! I'm going to order the missing parts. I just installed the new HP hose last night and was amazed at just how little "wiggle" room there is down there. You couldn't squeeze a tortilla between the fitting and the pitman arm one way or the fitting and the fender well the other... Now to address the final leak.

gtcs1

Thanks for the info from NPD, Rich! I'm going to order the missing parts. I just installed the new HP hose last night and was amazed at just how little "wiggle" room there is down there. You couldn't squeeze a tortilla between the fitting and the pitman arm one way or the fitting and the fender well the other... Now to address the final leak.

As far as the 2 rubber type straps, you could make your own with black hard rubber, made to look like the pictures above.

Perkchiro

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but NPD sells this

3A672 STRAP, PS Hose
67-70 Rubber w/steel rivet, holds hoses at control valve
...................................................3A672-1 6.00

I can't locate the number (3A672) in the diagram though

See attached for the catalog page...

I called NPD today to inquire about the strap in the picture above. The one listed here (3A672) is the strap for the hoses next to the ps control valve. The strap that connects to the lower shock tower is apparently not available. A custom one made from tire rubber might be the only way to produce it.
Any other ideas?

case12

I have seen the use of tire at MCA shows, and it looks fine. I had to ask to know what it was. The judges didnt say anything about it either. Casey

harryz

PS Hose routing

I had the same problem when I installed the HiPo exhaust manifolds on my 289. The solution was to route the PS hoses like they do on big block cars (and '67 Shelby GT-350's). The hoses are routed under the pivot point for the lower control arm. There is a bracket you have to mount, and the hoses are different than for a small block install. As I recall, I had to do a certain amount of heating / bending of the metal section of the high pressure hose that attaches to the power steering pump. Don't know if I got the wrong hose, or if the outlet on my PS pump is not right.

Just my $.02

Harry Z.