• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering to Manual Steering Swap

PFSlim

Just in case anyone is thinking about a power steering to manual steering swap, here is how it works:

I bought the manual steering adapter from VA Mustang. It was about $110.

Once the car was on a lift (I strongly suggest a lift by the way), you remove power steering pump, cylinder, hoses, belt, clamps, brackets, everything. Lastly, you remove the power steering control valve. The control valve unscrews from the end of the pitman arm. Once removed, you screw in the new adapter all the way in, then back out 1 to 2 turns.

It does not do anything to your current front end alignment. However, the trick is to adjust the adapter to keep steering wheel in alignment. Therefore, you have to adjust the adapter by turning it in more turns or out more turns to align the steering wheel (by trial and error).

Tighten and cotter key all nuts, touch up paint, and ready to roll!!

Paul

Mosesatm

Paul, is this the dohickey you bought and installed?

I'm seriously considering this swap. Are you happy with the results?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Arlie

That is exactly the one. Easy to remove the power steering stuff and install the new item. I love the way the car drives. Sure, it feels different when you are at a stand still and wish you had the help from the power steering but once you get moving, the car steers much better and more responsive. I am sure that I even can improve that by adjusting my steering box some.

Overall, I think it is a great improvement. No leaks!!!!

Hope this helps. If I can help in any other way, please let me know.

Paul