• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 2 Cal Specials at Mecum Auction this week

BroadwayBlue

The 1st one should get TV coverage tonight.

Lot W215 1968 Ford Mustang California Special
340 HP

Dana Mecum's Original Spring Classic Auction - 23rd Year
May 19-23, 2010
This Lot scheduled to be sold WED 6:30PM

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0510-92858

Lot T147 1968 Ford Mustang California Special
302 CI

Dana Mecum's Original Spring Classic Auction - 23rd Year
May 19-23, 2010
This Lot scheduled to be sold THU 3:50PM

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0510-90507

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

The first one (black) got to $35,500 but didn't meet the reserve.

Not sure if a deal was made later on.

This is someone's car from the site isn't it? I can't find the thread on it but I thought there was one out there.

Mosesatm

The first one (black) got to $35,500 but didn't meet the reserve.

Not sure if a deal was made later on.

This is someone's car from the site isn't it? I can't find the thread on it but I thought there was one out there.

Is that the car that used to be in Redding, California and was on eBay and other sites for a year or so before it sold?

hookedtrout

I missed the CS cars but I can say this, our old Sony TV died the other day so I went down Sunday and picked up a new 50" HD Plasma and Dish Network hooked up the HD programs Wednesday and last night I watched some of the Mechum car show, Holy $#!*. I'd be more apt to bid from home now if they'd let me, I can see them pretty clear now.

clubpro

The black car is the one from Redding that was on ebay and didn't sell. It also went to auction during Hot August Nights and didn't meet the reserve. The owner was in Sacramento after H.A.N. and was talking about how the car was owned by a Ford executive and had a hipo 289 installed, Shelby mods and other special items. Now looking at the description none of that is mentioned. The owner also mentioned that the car had been sold to someone in Monterey for $60,000. Which I strongly doubt.

Cheers!

robert campbell

I would like to get close to this car. Why does it have the Mustang "tribar" emblem on th front fender? I am a Hipo 289 guy. The block in Val's Mustang is the real deal. In 1968 the 271 HP 289 was no longer available as an option, but I suppose could have been put in as a "service" engine.

Did it came down the line with the 289 or was it dealer installed? Wonder what the VIN number is of the car?

Rob

CougarCJ

According to Kevin Marti there were exactly 0, 1968 Ford Mustangs with a K code 289 engine. There wasn't even a 289-4V engine available either.

Like has been said many time before, "Extraordinary claims need extraordinary documentation".:smile:

FoolsGold1

I sold lot 147 for $23K which is what I needed and the car would command. I did not get the VIN # on the 289 to verify code, but the seller claimed special engine built for 50 Cal Specials. The car had 67 deluxe interior features, nothing a purist would appreciate or feel obliged to feel the car was authentic including a comaro component on the locks. He wanted $42 but also claimed $80K invested in the car.

robert campbell

The word "hipo" and 289 have been wrongly connected for years. The “K” code hipo 289 Ford and the “D” (don’t get fooled a K code in a Mercury is not a hipo) code 289 in a Mercury are the designators for the 271 HP 289. In stock form not all that much faster than any 289. Same heads and valves except for the spring pockets for the valve springs and screw in studs. The bottom end with its bigger rods and 3/8 vice 5/16 rod bolt size were far superior to a stock 289. The blocks were also selected for their higher nickel content. A select block.

The potential and durability of the hipo 289 were great. The connecting rods eventually found their way into the boss 302.

It is sad, but lots of people with a stock 289 with a cam or intake are misled into thinking it is a hipo 289. Not to mention the misuse of decals and fender badging on cars. The easiest outside detail is the 2 inch wide vibration damper. Hipo 289 only. The sad thing is a lot of the stuff is bolt on and one must remove an oil pan or valve cover to really verify.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this car may not even be a GT/CS. How did it fair at the auction? My guess is people smelled a cloner!!!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Black CS is going up again Sunday and another black CS as well

Looks like the black car is going up again on Sunday.
Never noticed a car go up twice...

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0510-95200

Here's the thread with the info mentioned above.
I DVR's the auction on Thursday - have to go back and watch it. I watched a little bit of it but wasn't really paying attention to it at the time. I don't recall them mentioning any of the "extras" other than it was a restomod.

Also I see another GT/CS is going up on Sunday around 2:30 as well...

Black was displayed at Ford's 100th Anniversary event according to the description...

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0510-95201

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rewatched the auction from the other day tonight.

They said ...

It "now" has a 289 Hi-Po engine (although I don't think they referrred to it as HiPo.)

and they did say it had a Marti to show it was a real CS.

The last thing they said what that it was like a "Shelby Lite" referring to the Shelby parts and that you could register a CS in the Shelby registry.

CougarCJ

The last thing they said what that it was like a "Shelby Lite" referring to the Shelby parts and that you could register a CS in the Shelby registry.

"Shelby Lite" sounds like a term that the SAAC boys, would say about our GT/CS's.

Ruppstang

All K code blocks were serialized to the body that they were installed in.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I double checked how they referred to the engine again...

Here is what they said...

"Another car we don't often see, but it's certainly one that's out there.
It's a 68 Mustang, a California Special. A limited edition car that at this point has a 289 Cobra spec engine under the hood, a show winning car..."

And I was wrong before, they didn't say it was a restomod.

The driver may have actually been the owner.

Oh and the left rear brake lights don't work :smile:

Either way it's a nice looking car.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I sold lot 147 for $23K which is what I needed and the car would command. I did not get the VIN # on the 289 to verify code, but the seller claimed special engine built for 50 Cal Specials. The car had 67 deluxe interior features, nothing a purist would appreciate or feel obliged to feel the car was authentic including a comaro component on the locks. He wanted $42 but also claimed $80K invested in the car.

Got lost in the thread here but congrats on the sale!

Sounds like you were happy with the result.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

The first black car just came across the block.

First they read off the wrong description - they read off a 69 fastback description - eventually they corrected themselves.

They claim it's a matching number engine - would be interested to see the Marti report and what it says.

For the longest time it was stuck at $25,000. Then not sure what happened but it ended up going back down $20,000 and that's where it stayed and didn't sell.

I thought they said it took $35,000 to hit the reserve but couldn't fully understand them and you can't rewind the webcast.

$20,000 is lower than the $35,500 it got to on Wednesday.

The other car should be coming up soon.

tclark

The Black GTCS at Mecum was ok from the distance but for a purist or partial purist,that one be tough for me. I talk to the owner for a length of time, all kinds of storys even was in a special dept for C. Shelby to take people for a ride, 1 of 50 he said..But No documentation at all. also he's never been on this sight. also said was bought from original owner.etc. etc. etc.
Saw your car go thru foolsgold Congrat. on the sale. I talk to you before it ran.
Tom
gold GtCS.
( Caseys old car )

nates68

HEY RICH, i BELIEVE IN ALL IV READ THAT THE 302-4BL TOOK THE PLACE OF THE HYPO 289 IN 68. 10:1 COMP.

NATE