• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail light sockets

robert campbell

just ensure that they will stay. The effort to push in the spring when the light locks into the socket can be over done and push the socket out. And you know what that will require.....

Rob

OP
OP
p51

p51

just ensure that they will stay. The effort to push in the spring when the light locks into the socket can be over done and push the socket out. And you know what that will require.....

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yep, I'm going to test the glue with some bulb insertions/removals before re-installing the tail light section. I'm hopeful - I'm only doing one section w/3 bulbs, the other section was done by the previous owner and he used what looks like silicone sealant to glue them in. And that side seems solid... so...

One other thing I'm going to do is insert bulbs before installing the taillight section back on the car so that the springs are close to their normal compression. The way these sockets are designed the wires/springs/contacts can push out pretty far and I don't want them to poke out too far when I'm reinstalling the taillight section. And after the taillight section is on some more insertion/removal testing and checking electricals before the bumper goes back on...

James

OP
OP
p51

p51

Would J-B Weld work for this?

I thought of that but the issue I see is that if you ever need to remove/replace the sockets again, JB Weld (emphasis on "weld") would be very hard to remove. With the Goop I'm using (specifically not putting it straight on the mating surface but around the lip of the socket and across the interface) its forming sort of a semi-flexible gasket that adheres to the back of the bucket, under the lip of the socket, then over and above the lip of the socket. I am hoping that will be something that could be cut away later (eg with an exacto knife) if necessary...

This is what I'm using...
http://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Products-170011-Marine-Adhesive/dp/B000LNMVI0

OP
OP
p51

p51

Just FYI - final info just in case anyone else ends up needing to replace sockets:

I used the following socket purchased from Autozone - Durlast 383 socket
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/65435-socket-383-duralast-383.html

It is different from the original in that it has 3 wires, one of them being a dedicated ground wire. The original sockets have only two wires and the socket is grounded when the it is attached to the metal bucket (which is itself then grounded). The new 3-wire sockets ground both through attachment to the bucket and the dedicated ground strap.

The sockets insert from the back of the bucket. I glued the new sockets in with "Marine Goop" on the back. Let it dry for a day+. Seems to work very well.

I did not have to replace the flasher unit. The one that's already installed seems to work fine (whether it's the original flasher unit or not - I don't know).

These "Plasma"/LED tail lights are very bright :cool: