• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS battery advise needed

66hcs-conv

Hi gang,

The battery in our HCS has given up. It was/is one of the Autolite replica batteries.

I looking around for a replacement, I see the same type battery is now around $300, and I don't think they can be shipped.

So I'm thinking of buying a "regular" 24F battery and using one of the fake tops that look like the old autolite battery. BUT all the batteries I see all have 2 rectangular plastic caps that come off to check the water.

So how does the fake top work with those type batteries? Looks to me that the fake top will stick up so high the cable won't fit on the posts.

I would appreciate your advise & thought's - THANKS. Dave

dalorzo_f

Fits over any 24F50 and 24F60 flat top battery with the correct post location. (from Branda's site- http://www.cobranda.com/aubaco.html).

They recommend buying the top and taking it along when buying the battery to be sure it fits.

I bought a similar looking battery (in blue and yellow) and just vinyl dyed it black and the caps red and called it close. Lasted quite a long time, and looked reasonable. And one of the few changes I saw in the 2011 MCA rules in comparison to 2004 is a specified deduction for this item.

dalorzo_f

Forgot to add, I have seen posts from some who say they kept the old dead battery, cut out the bottom, and somehow fit a smaller 12V inside and connected it to the posts to keep the look.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Hey gang,

THANKS for all your help and advise. I've sent an inquiry to the Antique Auto Battery folks.

Thanks again, Dave