• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How did you find your GT/CS?

classicsguy

How did you find your GT/CS? Was it through this forum classifieds,craigslist, E-bay newspaper ad? Share your story here.

sam

I got mine by "accident." I was actually looking for a 68 Coupe because I had one in college, and wanted another one (before sending 4 kids through college). I was on Cape Cod for business, and happened upon a high end classic auto restoration shop that had everything except a 1968 Mustang notchback. The owner travels to Arizona, So. Cal and South Texas several times during the year, and promised he'd find me my car. About 3 months later he called to tell me about 3 1968 Mustangs he found.....and one of them was a "California Special" from Phoenix, AZ. After checking out the details, verifying serial nos. etc, I took a "flyer" and told him to ship the car back East. Three weeks later, he called to tell me the Mustang was at their facility, and to come down and take a look. I am a very conservative guy, but had purchased this car sight unseen! But felt somewhat assured when the shop owner told me he'd buy it for what I paid in the event I was disappointed. I couldn't get down there fast enough, and was really pleased when I saw the car...............and drove it for the day before deciding to take her home.
I had the car completely restored 2 years later, and am going on my 13th year of ownership. It's been a great decision, and the whole family has had fun growing up with "Dad's Mustang." My wife and I take her to the N.H. coast many times during the summer...........been great fun for sure ! I feel blessed to have my California Special Mustang, and to own a classic.
Sam

CougarCJ

Craig's list here.

Ad claimed car to be a GT/CS project. Picture made it hard to believe that it was even a Mustang. Poor lighting in the garage, parts piled on top and inside.
Price was very reasonable, as was the claim that it was mostly complete, but missing the engine/transmission and some glass. Selling with a bill of sale, no title, the ad said.
Honest seller, actually had more parts than was stated in the Craig's listing.
Lots of new parts, some NOS, all sheetmetal/fiberglass, and a set of 1970 disc brakes:grin:.

GT/CS S Code

As we've mentioned here before, my best friend Terry Rann got the Mustang "bug" because I had my '65 Fastback in his home workshop to do some work on it there. He started to look for a Mustang of his own and he happened upon this "S" code GT/CS by pure luck. It was advertised locally and we went to look at it together and I knew that he'd buy it as soon as we turned the corner and saw it parked at the curb. I told him, "You're gonna buy it 'cause it's in your colour!" (He loved red cars, trucks and motorcycles, and if he bought a vehicle that he liked and decided to keep it for very long, if it wasn't already in red then he'd PAINT it red ...)
We borrowed this car from him in 1999 since my '65 Fastback was still off the road, and Laurie and I used it for our wedding car. Terry was our Master of Ceremonies for our reception.
Terry had several other vehicles on the go, so he lost interest in the Mustang after a few more years, and he drove it rarely. One day in conversation he told me that he was thinking of selling it. Of course I had to buy it, and so I bought it in November of 2007 as a family Christmas present, which was a complete surprise to Laurie.
Terry contracted liver cancer shortly after, and he passed away on our 9th wedding anniversary, July 24th, 2008 at the young age of 57 years old. In a fitting last tribute, we drove Terry's ashes up the Malahat Drive in the GT/CS Mustang and we scattered them up at the viewpoint overlooking Brentwood Bay, which was one of his favorite places.
This car has huge sentimental value to me because of its history between Terry and Laurie and I, and so I'm planning to keep it for as long as possible!
:smile:

390cs68rcode

I posted a thread with a $1000 finders fee for a 390 auto on this site. About a month later someone emailed me that they found a online ad in Canada. I closed the deal and sent the finders fee check.

ahainline

^ lol thats one way to do it!!

I found mine on Ebay.. When it didnt sell I contacted the seller and drove to see it the next day. Bought it the day after that.

Mosesatm

Found the blue one on eBay. It did not sell so I contacted the seller.

Found the road warrior on Cars.com. It was on there for months before I finally contacted the seller and took a look at the car.

For those of you who are looking for a car please don't let the asking prices discourage you because I bought one of the cars for 70% of the asking price, and the other for 55% of the asking price!

Mustanglvr

I found mine locally. I was originally looking for a first generation Mustang GT. I knew I had to have the CS.

TraveledGTCS

Bought mine new at Hayward Ford, Hayward, CA, April '68 for about $4,000. Saw a Hayward Ford Bill Board and decided to see what they had. Traded in a '65 six cylinder, three speed Mustang coupe as down payment (got about $1,200 for it). Still own and drive to a lot of shows. In fact, I plan on going back east this summer June & early July hopefully take in a few shows - Mustang, OK, and Amherst, NY currently on my list.

gofastguy

For those of you who are looking for a car please don't let the asking prices discourage you because I bought one of the cars for 70% of the asking price, and the other for 55% of the asking price!

Mine came from right here. Arlie makes a good point about not being scared off by the asking price if you see something you like. I was able to acquire mine for between 55-60 percent of asking price. I think the somewhat unrealistic asking price may have been the reason that no one else seemed to have a lot of interest. Lucky for me!!

hookedtrout

A friend of my brothers stopped by to visit him one day while I was at his house, he was driving the CS, had no idea what a GT/CS was other than a fancy Mustang. My first car was a 65 Mustang so I was already a Mustang nut. I fell in love with the car. Told him I'd buy it if he ever wanted to sell. He said his grandmother bought it new and he would never sell.

Several years later I saw it at his place of employment with a For Sale sign, called him and told him to remove the sign that I would buy it. He didn't take me serious and I insisted. He then told me the price and I promptly headed over to make the purchase. I've owned it since 1982/83 can't remember which year for sure. We've been through a couple of divorces, many speeding tickets and many other things I can't mention, I intend on giving it to my first son if he's worthy at the time I agree to depart with it.

Midnight Special

...Well, my first in 1978 was from a local paper classified ad (having seen the car driving around for a year or so prior). Details are published in the book; "California Special Way of Life" by Cory Goulding...

Five other GT/CSs came from E-bay and the HCS was from here, courtesy of Bob Teets.

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

It was 2005, I as always was a Mustang fan as a kid and already owned my 96 GT Convertible when a friend at work mentioned in passing his Dad was selling his California Special.

I had no plans to buy anything at the time but decided to checkout the car.

Saw it, drove it and fell in love with it. Did some research and found this site. With the assistance and knowledge of many members of this site I ended up purchasing that car.

Two years later, in 2007, I purchased my current 289 Acapulco Blue GT/CS on eBay from North Carolina and sold my 302.

@Bill "Traveled GTCS" - keep us up to date on your travel plans. Maybe you can make Carlisle in June. Last saw you at the Mustangs Unlimited Show in CT back in 2008.

gazrox

After seeing a black California Special at a car show about ten years ago in Mandurah, Western Australia, I was hooked on having one for myself. I had already owned my 67 coupe since 1995, but I patiently waited until I saw an ad in Kijiji. The car was located on a farm near Gimli, Manitoba so after convincing my wife it was the right thing to do, we made the deal. Car was (and still is) in terrible shape, but its the car I've always wanted so I'm looking forward to having it restored to its former beauty!
PS - body work starts next week - finally, after a two year wait to get into a shop the real work begins. Will start posting progress photos.

68 GTCS

Mine came from right here. Arlie makes a good point about not being scared off by the asking price if you see something you like. I was able to acquire mine for between 55-60 percent of asking price. I think the somewhat unrealistic asking price may have been the reason that no one else seemed to have a lot of interest. Lucky for me!!

Found mine at a local classic car dealership, I spoke with the owner of the car and after 3 days I bought it for 40% of asking price and I loaded it on a trailer and hauled it home. He refused to get a Marti report so I took the chance and purchased it anyway. It appraised for his original asking price. "HIGH ROLLER". This is not recommended. I was relieved when I got the Marti in the mail. :scared:

Kevin -1

Ruppstang

Bought mine new at Hayward Ford, Hayward, CA, April '68 for about $4,000. Saw a Hayward Ford Bill Board and decided to see what they had. Traded in a '65 six cylinder, three speed Mustang coupe as down payment (got about $1,200 for it). Still own and drive to a lot of shows. In fact, I plan on going back east this summer June & early July hopefully take in a few shows - Mustang, OK, and Amherst, NY currently on my list.

That's cool we will look for you in Mustang OK. Marty

Minnesota_Mustang_Nutt

I found mine by accident on ebay. I was looking on ebay at about 3 in the morning, and came across the ad after only an hour after it was listed. I emailed the guy to come and look at it since it was in my state. After thinking about it for about an hour, I was afraid someone would snatch it up before I could see it, with buy it now. So I said screw it, and used the buy it now option. No way I would ever find one in that condition again for under 9K. Very happy with it ever since.

Mosesatm

It was 2005, I as always was a Mustang fan as a kid and already owned my 96 GT Convertible when a friend at work mentioned in passing his Dad was selling his California Special.

I had no plans to buy anything at the time but decided to checkout the car.

Saw it, drove it and fell in love with it. Did some research and found this site. With the assistance and knowledge of many members of this site I ended up purchasing that car.

Two years later, in 2007, I purchased my current 289 Acapulco Blue GT/CS on eBay from North Carolina and sold my 302.

@Bill "Traveled GTCS" - keep us up to date on your travel plans. Maybe you can make Carlisle in June. Last saw you at the Mustangs Unlimited Show in CT back in 2008.

Rich, I need to go to Falls Church, Alexandria, Baltimore, and Reading sometime this year. Those are fairly close to Carlisle, aren't they?

hookedtrout

I found mine by accident on ebay. I was looking on ebay at about 3 in the morning, and came across the ad after only an hour after it was listed. I emailed the guy to come and look at it since it was in my state. After thinking about it for about an hour, I was afraid someone would snatch it up before I could see it, with buy it now. So I said screw it, and used the buy it now option. No way I would ever find one in that condition again for under 9K. Very happy with it ever since.

Don't you just love that excitement and thrill of spur of the moment decisions. Best of all it worked out.

Cory