• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Front suspension details?

somethingspecial

Time to detail the front suspension, and my questions are, were the upper and lower control arms painted, with the ball joint end unpainted, or, were they completely without paint? Also, were the coil springs painted or not? I have seen pictures of bigblock coils with what appears to be a paint stripe down the coils. Was this an inspector paint mark, or a color designation for the BB coils V. small block coils. in any event, what would the correct color be for BB coils. any advise appreciated and welcomed. Thanks, Mike

Mosesatm

somethingspecial said:
What is his handle? Thanks, Mike

"Russ"

There might even be pictures in the gallery under his name that might help.

Russ

Hi Mike, I have some photos of the car and its undercarriage in the new gallery under "Highland Green GT/CS- MCA Gold Award". There are more photos of the car that I would be glad to send. From what I have been able to gather, San Jose cars had painted A arms with the outer edge of the arm in natural metal. I have seen springs in both natural and satin black. The sway bar is black. The paint stripes on the coil springs determine the spring rate of the spring and were used by the assembly worker to identify what spring to use on the car. My C-code GT/CS has A/C and has a vermillion and lavender stripe. My J-code GT has A/C and it has a salmon and yellow stripe with a white spray paint stripe. I haven't researched the stripes on a big block, but I bet someone on this site has that information. If you have any questions, email me at 1stnow@msn.com, I'll be glad to help. Good Luck,

Russ

6t8-390gt

Mike,
The springs should be semi-gloss black with stripes. The stripes differ between applications/options. For example my 390gt (fastback) with P/S and 4 spd. has one gold stripe and one yellow stripe. If you send me a message with eng., trans., and options I will try to look it up for you in the MPC. My uppers are bare, I clear coated them for protection. My lowers are dipped in Semi-Gloss Black up to about the jack tabs. Hope this helps.

Danny

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thanks guys, Danny, my car is a 390GT/4 speed as well, so the paint stripes you mentioned should be the same. Were the paint stripes taped off and sprayed on, or were they paint stick applied? Russ, I will check out the gallery, if I have any other questions or need more pics, I will certainly let you know. Thanks again folks, you are the greatest!!!!!! Mike

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

details

Russ, Where did you get the information on all the inspectors paint marks, I also need this information. I see the Driveline, tie rod ends, etc. have them. Can you send me this information. Thanks, Mike

6t8-390gt

Mike, I sent you a message before reading the updates. I used a one inch brush and testors model paint for my stripes. The stripes were painted with the spring sitting upside down. I did not tape off the marks, I wanted it to appear "sloppy" not perfect. I also stuffed my springs with paper to prevent paint spatter. Also think about installed spring position, I wanted the stripes visable for those who look.

Mosesatm

Here is some fairly generic information that might help.

Last edited:

Russ

Mike,
All of the marks were found on the car, with the exception of the paint inspector stamps, which were found on my highland green GT/CS. Both the GT and the GT/CS were produced within two weeks (Feb 14 to Feb 28) of one another, so I felt the paint inspector marks were correct. One thing that is typically missed when restoring the engine compartment of a San Jose car is that the upper shock mounts are painted shiney black, not phosphate. Just a small detail. Hope this helps.

Russ

6t8-390gt

Mike,
I used many different books and magazines to source information from. The Master Parts Catalog (MPC) is what Ford Dealers used to look up part numbers for replacement parts. The MPC was available through your parts dept. in print and maybe still is. They are now selling on ebay in CD format. It is a great resourse, but you will have to learn about the part numbering system ford uses.
Mustang Restoration Guide by Tom Corcoran and Earl Davis, uses alot of diagrams and info from the MPC, including the spring charts. I also referenced the reprints of the factory assembly manuals- paint daubs on parts are commonly referenced. The Mustang Club of America rule book is also a good guide. I also searched out unrestored cars (junkyard) looking for different marks and inspection stamps.
The BIGGEST reference was my own car, I only added a few marks that I did not truely find on my car. One being the Paint Inspection Stamp and I found an original unrestored car 51 numbers off mine with the same scheduled build date. Like Russ, I thought that was close enough for me.
For my restoration all original parts were rebuilt and reused. Although things such a the Master Cyl., Brake Cyl, P/S pump, etc. are still available manufacturing differences exist. Although a bit more expensive, I believe, a more correct restoration.

6t8-390gt

Mike,
I posted some detail shots of the undercarriage of my car in the gallery, so you, and everyone else can check them out. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Danny