• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

9 inch rear

Mustanger

I did a search on this topic, but didn't find anything here:

In 1968, which Mustangs, which includes CS's, had an 8" rear vs. the 9" rear?

I would think that the 6 cylinder, and 289 C-code (and later the F-code, 302 2v) had an 8" rear, while the GT optioned cars (J-code and big blocks) had a 9" rear.

Can anyone confirm this ???.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Thanks Jason.

Now, can anyone confirm if the 302 4v (J code) had a 8 or 9 inch?

I seem to remember that '68 Shelby GT 350s (which had the J code) had the 9 inch, but I'm pretty sure that the '65 - '67 GT 350s started off with the K code, which had the 9" also...

So, If anyone has a CS J code, does it have a 9"??

Russ

My 1968 GT, J Code 302, has a nine inch rear end. It also has all the factory markings (yellow paint crayon) and the rear end tag. The rear end has a 3.25:1 ratio and is non-locking. It is original to the car.
Russ

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=2045;start=0#msg13591 date=1124373644]
302's (non Shelby's) had 8 inch

all Shelby's had 9 inch
[/quote]

... 302 even with the GT option?

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=2045;start=0#msg13592 date=1124373805]
My 1968 GT, J Code 302, has a nine inch rear end. It also has all the factory markings (yellow paint crayon) and the rear end tag. It is original to the car.
Russ
[/quote]

Thanks Russ, I was posting my question as you were posting the answer :).

This kinda makes a little more sense now to me, ... since the 65 - 67 K code, which came with a 9" rear, was replaced with the J code in '68, then those cars should get a 9" rear - however, not all J codes were GT's, so...

Does anyone have a '68 302 4V, J code, non-GT, with a 8 or 9 inch rear??

Mosesatm

Are the rearend codes and engine codes listed in the registry? If they are both listed you might be able to use it to see how the J-codes tie to the 9" rear.

Russ

Ok, Here goes...........My Lime Gold GT/CS came with the 302, J Code, but does not have the GT option, and it has a 3.00:1 conventional 8 inch rear end. The identification tag on this car reads "WCZ-F1", the the date code of "8B" (Feb 68). I also have another 1968 Mustang with the 302, no GT option, and it also has an 8 inch rear end.

My 1968 GT Mustang has an identification tag reading "WES-P", and this is the larger rear end. The external dimensions of this rear end are IDENTICAL to the nine inch rear end, BUT the 1968 Mustang/Ford shop manual states that the ring gear has a diameter of 8 3/4"!!!! The ratio is 3.25" and is a conventional type. There are three 8 3/4" rear ends identified in the shop manual and all have ID tags with the "WES" identification. The "WES" rear ends are the ONLY ones identified with the 8 3/4" ring rear!! The date code on this rear end is "7M" (Dec '67).

All of the cars I mentioned were built in San Jose, and all were built prior to March 6. I hope this information does not confuse anyone, but I wanted to make sure the information was correct.
Hope this helps,
Russ

Herck

if u have axcess to rearend a long socket wont fit on the bottom bolts if its a nine inch but the socket will on a 8 inch so it a easy test to c what rearend u have try it the socket wont seat on 9 inch

Sarge

Good info Russ,

Mine is a J code 302, non-GT and had the 8" 3:00 ratio rear end.
Robert