CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/10/2018, 05:33 AM   #1
classicsguy

1968 S-code 4 speed GT/CS on E bay

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1968-Ford-Mus...+Mustang&rt=nc
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2018, 08:26 PM   #2
8R01S

I know the history on this car. I think it was sold new in Stockton, CA. I found it in a guys backyard in Castro Valley, CA. Fixed it and drove it home. The Marti report is of course correct.. originally a non a/c car, When I got it I added the a/c and a 390 S code block from a '67 390 GT Cougar parts car. I also located a proper coded 4 spd. (I should have kept the close ratio 4 spd that was in it when I bought it - big difference between the two). I also installed a new vinyl top and added a deluxe interior upper roof console. I added the woodgrain on the dash and the 390 Shelby Equipped badge. (I still have another one of those - they don't reproduce these thick chrome surround ones anymore).

The car also originally came with dealer installed "Pleasur -Lift" air shocks.

One of the factory inspectors was "Chagolla", his ink stamp was on the cowl area inside the engine bay. There was another marking on the passenger floor board. I documented the car since it was so original. I have more original info somewhere. Just have to find it.. (At the time I sent a copy of it to Paul Newitt).

It was a nice car, Lucas lights were working and in great original condition. I'd like to have it back, but can't afford it.. It's the real thing.. a big block, 4 spd. 8K tach factory optioned GT/CS.. so bid with confidence.

I have some pictures of when I found it, and after I made it a driver.. I will post them, I think I know where they are..
8R01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2018, 08:57 PM   #3
8R01S

390 gt/cs

Here's one pic of a vintage pic (there are more, just have to find them). As I found it in the guys backyard after taking the tarp off.. It was essentially a rust free straight body. That was its original paint..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_01.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	22641  
Old 08/11/2018, 12:35 AM   #4
8R01S

390 gt/cs

It took some digging but I found my documentation after all these years. I am posting to document this car for historical purposes. Also, the seller didn't mention the original owners manual - it went with the car when I sold it. Hopefully it is still with the car as it had the "temporary owner card" data plate card still in it. No build sheet was found.

I had scanned the inside cover of the owner's manual as shown below (I blacked out the original owner's name). It wasn't sold in Stockton, it was sold at Rudolph Ford in Daly City, CA. "72A024" must be the Ford Dealer Number.

There was a yellow crayon "6" on the passenger seat riser pan. The floors were body color during my ownership. There was a yellow crayon "S/O" on the passenger side front radiator core support. Was this 'special order'?

The car came with the factory "GT" option and had the running horse style pop open gas cap. That is the original air cleaner and snorkel to the car, the vacuum motor in the air cleaner was missing when I had purchased it.

The 390 block I put in it was dated 7D27, the heads were 7K29. The "S" intake manifold was dated 8C15. The 390GT exhaust manifolds were driver side 8D28 passenger side 8D19. I have more info, such as the person I purchased it from and other details about the car.

If the original owners manual is not there it needs to be tracked down and kept with the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GT_04.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	22643  
Old 08/11/2018, 12:52 AM   #5
Mosesatm

Thanks, that's great information! I added it to the registry.
Please send any other information you run across to moses1968@att.net.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2018, 10:58 AM   #6
8R01S

390 gt/cs

Yes sir, I will send all I have on the car and what I remember about it and the previous owner chain of the car, all unredacted. It will be up to you to post or not post the information publicly. Please use discretion. I have carried data on many cars over the years and the documents are starting to deteriorate. I need to clean out the garage and all previous vehicle information will be lost.. Some really cool cars - my wife said to keep this one, I should have listened to her. Original paint, fully loaded special ordered one owner J-code 429CJ-R. Found it in a one car garage in Stockton, CA. (that's where I got the towns mixed up).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	22644  
Old 08/11/2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Edward Bodoh

X CODE

My Garage
390 Shelby equip badge

I'm curious about that badge. Did only the true GT Cali specials get a badge like that denoting engine size? Don't remember seeing one like that on GT cars.

As I'm an owner of an X code would you be willing to part with that extra one you have? It looks real cool. Either way...good info you shared. That's a good looking car.

Ed.
Edward Bodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Ruppstang

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Bodoh View Post
I'm curious about that badge. Did only the true GT Cali specials get a badge like that denoting engine size? Don't remember seeing one like that on GT cars.

As I'm an owner of an X code would you be willing to part with that extra one you have? It looks real cool. Either way...good info you shared. That's a good looking car.

Ed.
That badge was not used by Ford on any of the GT/CS or HCS cars. The owner stated above that he add the badge and has another one. It probably was sold by Shelby with some of their performance kits.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2018, 05:43 PM   #9
Edward Bodoh

X CODE

My Garage
Thanks Marty....it is a cool looking badge though.
Edward Bodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2018, 09:12 PM   #10
prototypefan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R01S View Post
It took some digging but I found my documentation after all these years. I am posting to document this car for historical purposes. Also, the seller didn't mention the original owners manual - it went with the car when I sold it. Hopefully it is still with the car as it had the "temporary owner card" data plate card still in it. No build sheet was found.

I had scanned the inside cover of the owner's manual as shown below (I blacked out the original owner's name). It wasn't sold in Stockton, it was sold at Rudolph Ford in Daly City, CA. "72A024" must be the Ford Dealer Number.

There was a yellow crayon "6" on the passenger seat riser pan. The floors were body color during my ownership. There was a yellow crayon "S/O" on the passenger side front radiator core support. Was this 'special order'?

The car came with the factory "GT" option and had the running horse style pop open gas cap. That is the original air cleaner and snorkel to the car, the vacuum motor in the air cleaner was missing when I had purchased it.

The 390 block I put in it was dated 7D27, the heads were 7K29. The "S" intake manifold was dated 8C15. The 390GT exhaust manifolds were driver side 8D28 passenger side 8D19. I have more info, such as the person I purchased it from and other details about the car.

If the original owners manual is not there it needs to be tracked down and kept with the car.
8R01S......THANKS!!!!! for being one of those guys that kept his paperwork.

I've purchased the car and should have it home in a couple weeks.

The owners manual is still with the car along with the temporary owners card.

I'll get the front end sorted out and put a few miles on it, then decide whether it will come apart and restored or simply enjoyed and save myself the ulcers of worrying about it being a trailer queen.

Kindly feel free to email......fred @ focusauto dot com
Remove the spaces and put a . instead of dot
prototypefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2018, 06:39 PM   #11
68gulfstream

Really cool car. I remember talking to the owner when he put it up on craigslist earlier this year. I think he was asking about $45K at that point and you had to take all the parts with the car.

I didn't realize that the original motor had been replaced. At least it sounds like you have an era-correct replacement done by someone who cared about the car.
68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2018, 07:46 PM   #12
8R01S

8r01s

Congratulations prototypefan! It sounds like it's going to a good home. I really liked this car.. Nobody else had one on the road. I drove it regularly as my primary transportation.

I drive and enjoy my classics. My advice is to do the same - musclecars were made to drive - good times and enjoyment. I tried the "trailer queen" route on one of my cars, it wasn't that fun.. A totally restored down to the tires showroom car. I would sit in a lawn chair in the garage and look at it.. carefully drive it around the block a couple of times a month to keep everything lubed. Back in the garage it went.

Any musclecar I happen to own I drive - no "trophy cars" for me. I own them for the thrill..

Here are more vintage pics (I will try to clean them up and email them to you). Original stripe placement - I measured it very accurately before removing the originals, I will try and find that particular document.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	390GT_01.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	22667   Click image for larger version

Name:	390GT_02.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	22668  
Old 08/21/2018, 08:03 PM   #13
8R01S

8r01s

Here it is after drivetrain and cosmetics. I purposely went with a "daily driver" paint job - it would be a loss of value in a bazillion dollar paint job when you will be parking it in the work or grocery store parking lot. (Will clean these pics up too).

I do recall the person I sold it too later informed me he removed my carefully placed side stripes - he thought it looked better without them (he obviously wasn't the brightest light bulb in the box). The car may have been repainted since the one I had done. Mine actually turned out pretty good. I specifically worked out a plan with the painters, delivered it all taped and prepped, door jambs, window felts removed, everything. All they had to do was spray. I wet sanded it afterwards to a mirror finish and reassembled. (I also replaced the rear leaf springs after these pics). It had it's original 3.25:1 open rear end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	390GT_03.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	22669   Click image for larger version

Name:	390GT_05.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	22670   Click image for larger version

Name:	390GT_04.jpg
Views:	26