• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 68 GTCS no 2 of the assy line

Ruppstang

I would love to see some proof to the second off the assembly line claim. A Marti report would be a good start.

robert campbell

Wow, that is rust I have never seen before in a Mustang! It has recessed reflectors which make it an early build. Wonder how it would be verified as the number two GT/CS? Especially when so many completed Mustangs were pulled off the line and converted into GT/CS cars?

Would love to hear that story.

Rob

robert campbell

I have talked to the current owner and it is the mate to my GNS and was built two days after mine. I talked with Mike Jewel about someone inspecting it, but it never happened. this car had the same "anniversary gold" paint on it that my car did. When I talked with Janice she went on and on about how her uncle had trouble matching the paint. As you can see it is red now.

In Paul's first book, after his interview with Lee Gray, he had a time line that indicated that some anniversary gold GNS Mustangs may have been converted into GT/CS cars on the line to jump start sales in the NW.

This car deserves a look see by an astute GT/CS guy to look at the car to see if it is a converted GNS to GT/CS that has been rumored about.

My GNS had all the original GT/CS fiberglass except for the left side scoop. the correct rear wiring harness and such. This has been a mystery for many years. If an experience GT/CS guy can look at this car, it may prove to be a rare buy. And solve a mystery partially.

The number two reference may have came from my conversation with the owner. I told him this car might be one of these assembly line Mustangs pulled from the line and converted early. I told him my car was built 2 days earlier. That is where he came up with the number two thought.

Attached is a picture of the car when Janice had it in its original color.

Rob

Last edited:

franklinair

With the rooftop rust:sad: it would be a candidate for a GT/CS convertible conversion.
In years past, I did a couple '68 coupe-to-convertible mods. ('68's are candidates because of the torque boxes on both sides, unlike previous years.)

Neil

robert campbell

Actually the vinyl top was remove quite a few years ago. Monterey is very close to the ocean and even in a carport the salt air gets after cars with a gusto. I have looked at vintage motorcycles that were in San Francisco. They were horribly rusty.

Not sure what the total condition of this car is. To me the rust in it is very uncommon.

Rob

mbsf1970

I know that when you sell something you highlight the good and gloss over or downplay the negative but this one mad me chuckle. To suggest that the interior was in great shape and that the hard part was done is a bit much. I would respectfully suggest that the perforation in the roof due to rust "just might" be the hard part:rolleyes:
Stephen

Ruppstang

I have what the new owner needs and it is even in Steven's favorite color!

Attachments

• 2080-04-09 20.02.43.jpg
    2080-04-09 20.02.43.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 51

Batgirl89

I have what the new owner needs and it is even in Steven's favorite color!

my favorite color too!:grin: yes, thats a savings account sitting right there!

"Interior, hardest part already done" but it has to be torn out to repair all that rust.:icon_pani

John and I bought a '65 mustang convert from San Francisco. It was originally purchased from Cecil Whitebone Ford Van Ness Ave. It had spent its whole life there in SF. We thought that was so special and cool, until we got it home and really started to work on the car. It was rusting from the inside out, literally. It looked ok from the outside, but once we really started digging around OMG!:scared:

stangfan

John and I bought a '65 mustang convert from San Francisco. It was originally purchased from Cecil Whitebone Ford Van Ness Ave. It had spent its whole life there in SF. We thought that was so special and cool, until we got it home and really started to work on the car. It was rusting from the inside out, literally. It looked ok from the outside, but once we really started digging around OMG!:scared:

My GT/CS came from that dealer. :grin: It lived in Sacramento for 43 or so years before coming to BC. No rust at all thank goodness. I've been wanting to find plate frames from Cecil Whitebone Ford, but I don't think they exist.

robert campbell

The owner of this Mustang is going to take some close ups of the GT/CS parts on his car. Close ups of the hood locks, hood lock receptacles, the fog lights and their stanchions, the fuse block, the rear wiring harness, the side scoops the underside of the trunk lid, and the backside of the taillights.

Not sure if there is anyone in the Bay area that would be willing to look at this car closely. It may be a very rare car and answers some of the questions about how it and my old car came to be.

If you are interested, and have the first GT/CS book, on page 30 of this book their is a timeline that specifically identifies these cars may have been built.

Also this old thread that Arlie started has some interesting discussion on the early GT/CS history.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10124&highlight=early+cars

Rob

prototypefan

8R01C124554

The hood is rotted through on the leading edge and drivers side. Corrosion at the top of the tail light panel and quarter panel where the extension bolts on.

The valve covers and intake look like they have been on an engine that sat outside for years.

There is no door tag

I asked for pics of the drivers quarter below the scoop as it appears to have issues in that area but did not receive any

If it turns out to be a GNS that was converted to a GT/CS it could be bloody cool car and a labor of love.