• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Advise on 1968 GT/CS purchase

classicsguy

I have been looking for a while for a project 1968 GT/CS with an S or J code engine but nothing has materialized so far. I have placed wanted ads in this and other forums and nothing so far.
There is a local 1968 GT/CS for sale here that is running but needs minor body work,interior restoration and engine compartment detailing and to be showworthy a complete paint job. The car is a true GT/CS C-code auto car with console,p/s and PDB. Candyapple red and parchment interior. Since J-codes are hard to get and S-codes much harder, should I purchase this car or should I wait for what I am looking for? What do you think I should do? I will not use the car for daily driving. Also ordered the Marti report to check the options. I will certainly appreciate this forums opinion. Thanks

68gt390

Don't know if you have looked at this particular site or not but here are links to several cars. Not sure if you are willing to pay for shipping or not.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/5/75705255.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/0/74826010.htm

The above 2 cars are with the same dealer. Since it is a dealer and the fact that they've been on the internet for some time they may be willing to deal some on the price. Plus they are located on the west coast.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/8/76161078.htm

The above car although not an "S" code 390 I think would be more desireable than a 289 or 302. Nothing aginist the 289 or 302 but, the fact it's an "X" code car would swing me in that direction based on production numbers. Plus, price wise it's very competitive with most small block cars I've seen for sale both on the above site and ebay. At least it's a 390 and they are not that easy to find.

Don :)

Sarge

I would hold out for a "J, X or S" code, as the C code cannot be a true "GT" GT/CS. Unless you really have to have one now....
Good Luck, Robert

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Don I watch that site almost everyday and I have seen those cars but I am looking for a .project
Robert, that is why I want at least a J code because its the minimum to get the GT option. If its an S code with the GT option which its what I am looking for.
The 289 ci engine is more abundant in this market, so its more common in the GT/CS.
These cars are getting really hard to find so if I get a hold of one it's a keeper!!!