• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Complete Wiring Harness

Tequila

Hello, I just searched the restoration section and didn't find what I was looking for, therefore I am posting it here hoping someone could help me.

I am thinking about replacing my underdash wiring harness. The previous owner(s) had cut some wires and patched others using cheap speaker wires. I could either try to rewire these, or leaning towards replacing the entire harness. I was wondering if anyone done this recently and any recommendations on a plug and play harness? I saw some positive reviews about Painless harness but are they truly plug and play? Also, how long would it take to swap out the entire harness? I already have the instrument bezel, radio, AC hoses, Glove compartment removed, and soon the heater box will be out as well.

I googled and found a really good write up but it is more customized and I am looking to keep it factory, ie no tach.

I would appreciate it if anyone have any suggestions or recommendations.
Thanks, RT.

coralsnake

The painless and american auto wire are not plug and play. You can buy a new harness that looks like the original and has all the Ford connectors. I offer these for sale on my website. I also have the cal special tail light wires. Email me coralsnake68@hotmail.com

Thecoralsnake.com/wiringlist

Pete

Ruppstang

There are also companies that will refurbish you under dash harness. I have used one in Florida and was very pleased with the results. I have also used the coral snake's products and they are first rate.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I was ready to pull the plug on the painless harness. I will definitely checkout Coral Snake products.

I will look into refurbishing as well.

Thank you so much.

dalorzo_f

Buy the Alloy Metal (or is it Metal Alloy?) ones like Pete sells, Almost identical to OEM, all the right plugs, clips for attaching (well, the taillight one for the GTCS I bought was way out on those, but fit well after moving them), new modern rated wiring, and looks "right". And not brittle.

Plugs in and "goes" no dicking around with adapting connectors, recolor-coding wiring diagrams, etc...

Mosesatm

For those who are not concerned with originality a nice feature of the American AutoWire harness is that it's set up for headlight relays which saves wear and tear on the headlight switch.

franklinair

rccinnovations: aka "Rocketman" is who I dealt with for the voltmeter conversion and his mini tach. He's really good to deal with.

Neil

somethingspecial

Hey Guys, Don't forget to post your recommendations in the "Recommended CS Parts Dealers" thread in the Restoration section.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?p=94854#post94854.

This would make it easier to find in the future. Try to keep it to Recommendations only so as to keep it from getting cluttered. If there is a difference in opinion on a product and/or a vendor, we can discuss it here. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and purchased a complete set from Pete at Coral Snake. He is great to deal with. I am sure it will work out great.

RT

rvrtrash

Has anyone used Midlife Harness Restorations?

He's a regular on the 7173Mustangs.com site and gets good reviews there. You might want to check out the postings and see what others are saying.

Steve

dalorzo_f

Only issue with Midlife is they are 40+ year old wire. Randy does great work, but it can be old, brittle and will show splices in places... but it will be correct.

The repros from Pete (Coralsnake) are new and high quality (bought the entire cars wiring from the EXP repli-bute from him) and work fine, but do vary from OEM in some minor details.

whodat

I looked on the Coralsnake site and didn't see the harness. How much was the harness? I really don't want to spend a lot on a harness. I still need other pricy parts.

franklinair

Dominic- What's the problem with your harness? Major? Minor?

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00863.jpg
    DSC00863.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 30

clubpro

Hey that looks like the wiring on my car. Mine even had wires spiced in and then stuck into the fuse box. Real professional looking :-(

whodat

I'm having some minor issues. I already replaced the instrument cluster wires and the wires going to the tank. I am going a different route and I may just go ahead and get a lot of things done to the car. That's why I was getting some info on the harness. I know some connectors are broken/missing. I'm going to repaint the interior again. So I will pull everything out. And the harness shouldn't be too bad to pull out at that point.